Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day

Christmas was lovely with our entire family together. Growing up near the Canadian border, I always heard of "Boxing Day" being the day after Christmas. I am thinking of that today, especially because a box arrived from my cousin Margaret from Alberta, Canada today. Sadly, it was a little late for AE and KA who left today. . . . but I am mailing all their books to them anyway media mail, so Margaret's offerings will fit into that box! (I've learned it's also Saint Stephen's Day.)

Early this morning strong and silent CB (I had to put that here, because AE was teasing me about using those adjectives for her dad) and I drove AE, KA and sweet cocker puppy Morgan to the San Antonio Airport. All except CB slept most of the two hour drive there.

CB and I dropped them off at the airport and then went shopping at The Container Store for half-price Christmas wrapping paper. I've always wanted to go there on Dec. 26, but never have driven to San Antonio on this date before. There were very few people there, which was nice for us. At the checkout counter, I got a phone call from AE, telling me that their plane to Chicago was delayed by three hours.

So we went back to the airport and got them. We had coffee at Starbucks, sitting outside so Morgan could wander a little bit while still on the leash. Then we drove to one of our favorite restaurants there, Twin Sisters. We sat outside again, with the pavement on the porch wet from the humidity. That was fun!

After a quick trip to Half-Price Books, we again took the girls and their puppy to the airport and left them there. CB and I drove home and got here in the late afternoon.

All the dogs miss Morgan, especially DC's bull dog Sampson. It was so funny to watch the two puppies play. Morgan was so little that she could even scoot under Sampson's tummy!

Tomorrow I will post pictures. I wanted to get a picture of all FIVE dogs together, but it was impossible to get them still at the same time in close proximity.

AE, KA and Morgan will hopefully get to Cincinnati tonight--they finally got to Chicago a few hours later than planned, only to find the flight to Cincinnati delayed also. Traveling with a puppy is much like going with a toddler, except that the puppy is usually happy.

Everyone else leaves on Sunday.

7 comments:

Terri said...

my daughter tried to fly home yesterday but ended up diverted to St. Louis for the night...hopefully she will get home today...sigh...

glad you had a good Christmas and hope everyone made it to where they needed to go...

Sherry said...

So nice to hear that you had a lovely Christmas Jan. Happy to have the family around no doubt. I am champing at the bit a bit to get out and do a little shopping. With the deep discounts, it's the time to stock up on necessities and a couple of luxuries. I'm dying to get jammies and a new robe and stuff like that at the end of Christmas sales.! And be still, by heart, books on sale! LOL...

Mary Beth said...

Yum, Twin Sisters!

Hope it all continued well. much love!!

Lori said...

Glad you had a lovely holiday! I look forward to the pictures.

Lauralew said...

Twin Sisters doesn't sound familiar at all from my time in San Antonio. I'll have to go down there sometime!

Air travel anymore just isn't what it used to be. There really isn't another choice when going from Seattle to Corpus, though! Taciturn hears stories like yours and mompriest's and coupled with his own horror stories, has decided to drive to Baltimore vs fly. Glad he is going from MO vs South Dakota!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you had a good family time together.

Smokey would love a puppy to play with . . . as long as I never held it on my lap.

Nancy said...

Just before Christmas, my sister and her husband flew from Washington DC to Sitka AK via Miami FL and Whitehorse BC!! At least they made it to Sitka for Christmas. Other relatives of theirs missed Christmas in Sitka, just trying to fly from Seattle to Sitka.