Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Perpetual Advent

"Thomas Merton, Trappist monk and author, remarked that life is a perpetual Advent. He sensed that in that waiting, trust began to grow. Trust in God, trust in the Holy One who is beyond all that is created and is the source of all things, seen and unseen. Trusting and waiting allow the loving-kindness that is the essence of God's own Life to grow in us, and to bear fruit that we never expected."

To read the rest of Mary Earle's short article, go here.

5 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I can certainly identify with Merton as I continue to wait for a call to a church. Thanks for this.

Terri said...

yes...waiting for God, an Advent-ful life....

Jennifer said...

"God's own life."
How re-orienting that phrase is.

How's your health?

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I like the idea of perpetual Advent. It speaks to my experience of the Christian life.

Fran said...

Aaah... How I needed this. Hope you are feeling better. I have not been around for days as I adjust to working again!