For the first time in my life I baked a flourless chocolate cake yesterday. I am wondering if it is like "Chocolate Decadence," which was once a popular dessert in the 1980s. A friend was having a dinner party last night, and when I volunteered to help, she gave me this recipe. It was somewhat complicated, but well worth the trouble.Creamy Flourless Chocolate Cake
one 9-inch cake
one 9-inch cake
1/2 pound semisweet chocolate
1/4 pound unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbsp. water, coffee, Cognac, OR brandy
1/ cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
I baked it and topped it with raspberry preserves. It looked sophisticated and elegant. With 16 people at the dinner last night, half of it is still left. One cannot eat a large piece, because it is so rich.
My friend gave the half cake back to me, because she said it freezes beautifully. Now I have our Christmas dinner dessert!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go here for more chocolate dessert recipes.
1/4 pound unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbsp. water, coffee, Cognac, OR brandy
1/ cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
- 1. Put chocolates and water in top of double boiler. Melt over warm water. Removed from heat. Add butter in 5 pieces, blending each piece into the chocolate before adding the next piece. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar until dissolved.
- Beat egg yolks until light and thickened. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture so it does not separate. Add vanilla.
- Beat eggs whites and salt until foamy with electric mixer; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff. Fold whites into chocolate batter.
- Pour into buttered and sugared 9-inch spring-form pan. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes (no longer; the cake will fall slightly, then it will firm as it cools). Put cake on wire rack to cool; remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or serve with whipped cream OR Brush warm cake with seedless raspberry preserves, thinned over heat with a little water.
I baked it and topped it with raspberry preserves. It looked sophisticated and elegant. With 16 people at the dinner last night, half of it is still left. One cannot eat a large piece, because it is so rich.
My friend gave the half cake back to me, because she said it freezes beautifully. Now I have our Christmas dinner dessert!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go here for more chocolate dessert recipes.
9 comments:
Pecan pie!
Sounds scrumptious.
Oh my...must make this. Thanks, Jan! Looks wonderful!
ok, now I'm hungry.
Oh! Sounds awesome.
Not long ago, I had a flourless choc. cake from a recipe by Rebecca Rather, a Texas chef.
I'm still recovering.
Just one word: WOW.
Drool!!!!
Yum! What time should I be there????
This looks yummy. I think I will have to try it.
Post a Comment