Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cheesecake Story

My children and friends know the story behind my annual cheesecake on my birthday. When CB was in grad school at Oregon State University in the 1970's, we were good friends with Steve and Gayla. Steve was in the chem department graduate program along with CB; Gayla and I were both elementary school teachers; and we all lived in married student housing. That's when I learned that Steve always baked Gayla a cake for her birthday! That seemed like a good idea, so I suggested it to CB, and for the past 34 years he has done this for me.

My cake of choice is cheesecake, and CB bakes the best one I've ever had. He follows Craig Claiborne's recipe as adapted by Maida Heatter (in Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts), and he has a few changes he's put in, himself. It is simple and GOOD:

2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 eggs

Beat and add to springform (cheesecake) pan and bake at 350 degrees F. for 90 minutes.

All these years, I've been pleased and proud of my husband (with the children's help) making me a birthday cake every year. MJ came home from college last night and participated in this annual cooking event. I'm glad my children have seen their dad, my husband, make this effort, even during the times that our marriage was strained. What a gift to us all!
~~~~~~~~~~~

But what is really sad is the news I received from Gayla yesterday in a birthday card. (Our friendship has fallen to exchange of birthday and Christmas letters in cards every year.) She wrote to tell me that Steve asked for a divorce in the past year, and it is now final. She still sounds overwhelmed and confused. I'll be calling her today for the first time in about 30 years; she wrote down both her cell and (new) home phone numbers.

The Birthday (or Cheesecake) Cake story is still a good one, especially as CB continues the tradition. Even if Steve doesn't.

I feel ever fortunate, even though today I turn:

12 comments:

Sherry said...

Oh so sad for your friend Jan. What a delicious story though, and hmmmm, I think I must speak to my husband about his cake making skills. He will likely claim he has none! LOL...I think I must make a cheesecake soon, perhaps a pumpkin one for thanksgiving, though I am partial to plain cheesecake, that might work!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Michael once made me a chocolate caramel cheesecake that holds a legendary place in memory, but he hasn't repeated the process every year!

I'm glad you're calling your friend. I know she'll appreciate it.

And happy birthday.

Jennifer said...

Gayla will be glad to hear from you.
Happy birthday, friend!

ROBERTA said...

Speaking of birthday cakes - my husband david makes a pineapple upside down cake for my birthday as i do for his every year. This is the only thing my husband "cooks" so it's always appreciated! So have a happy birthday Jan and may your spirit be awakened to new adventures in the coming year!

Magdalene6127 said...

Happy Birthday Jan! Lovely story; sorry about your friend.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

What a grand tradition (and hubby) you have. I think those phone numbers were included for a reason...and you "heard" that reason.

Jan said...

Thank you, dear friends. You've helped to make this a very happy day for me!

Lori said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! And what a wonderful husband making you cheesecake. I love cheesecake too.

Sorry for your friend, but she will most likely carve out a better life for herself. Especially with a friend like you.

Lauralew said...

Hugs to you and to your friend. And I must agree with what Pres Gal said.

Happy Birthday!!!

Mavis said...

Belated happy birthday. You share the day with my daughter (19) and my cousin's daughter (29)

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I'm late to the party, Jan--but I can wish you a wonderful year, if not a wonderful birthday!

Cheers,
Doxy

Billie Greenwood said...

I'm sorry to be so late to wish you a happy birthday. (We're exactly the same age now.) I was really moved by this cheesecake story and your friend's divorce. Our lives can take such painful and difficult turns. We need to be grateful for everything that is right or healthy or positive in our lives everyday we live.