Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Global Poverty Bible Study

A week late, I am realizing that the General Board of Church and Society of the United Methodist Church is publishing a five-week Bible study on Global Poverty in its weekly newsletter "Faith in Action." It has been created by Alexis Coleman, Pastor, Harper's Ferry, W. VA.

For the General Poverty Bible Study, the first two weeks have been published online. “A New Year in God’s World” includes five weekly Bible studies with short Scripture reading, questions for group reflection and action, facts on the state of the global poor and congregational prayers.

1st week

2nd week

To subscribe to the newsletter, go here. This way you can see the next three weeks of this Bible Study. You can also receive Jim Winkler's weekly column, which this week is entitled "My Faith in God. . ." One paragraph from this article is:

"My faith in God helps me understand that God has always relied on people to be the agents of change, peace, reconciliation and forgiveness. That is why we are here. God is most disappointed when we become defensive, violent and vengeful."

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are a wealth of resources. I am so grateful.

dust bunny said...

wow...amazing quote.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I signed up, and read the first lesson. There is a lot to think about....I am looking forward to re-reading after work when I can think about it in more depth.