Thursday, January 10, 2008

Truth

In all ten directions of the universe,
there is only one truth.
When we see clearly, the great teachings are the same.
What can ever be lost? What can be attained?
If we attain something, it was there from the beginning of time.
If we lose something, it is hiding somewhere near us.
Look: this ball in my pocket:
can you see how priceless it is?

~~Ryokan (1758-1831)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is a nice article about Ryokan being a hermit here.

"The hermit hut is for Ryokan a microcosm of life and the universe: "last year a foolish monk, this year no different." It is the setting for the cycle of being which he so sensitively portrays in his poetry."

2 comments:

Sybil Archibald said...

This is a really interesting post. You have inspired me. I think I'm going to do a series of drawings (& possibly etchings) of hermit's huts. I love it!

PS thanks for your good wishes & prayers for me this week! I know it helped...

Nancy said...

I really like this poem. It seems to relate back to the quote from Rabbi Herschfield.