Thursday, October 20, 2011

Dewey's Read-A-Thon!


Have you ever heard of Dewey's Read-A-Thon? I never had until I saw its announcement at Bonnie's Books. The first Read-A-Thon was started by Dewey in 2007; sadly she has since died. Others are continuing the tradition in both April and October!

Questions about the Read-A-Thon are answered here, with a few copied below:

Do I have to stay up the whole 24 hours?

No, although it’s more fun if if you do. Cheerleaders only need to commit to at least one hour, and Readers can either choose to stay up the entire time or take breaks as they need to. There are some prizes that you’ll only be eligible for if you participate all 24 hours.

Do e-books count?

Well, sure! Also audio books, reading to the kids, etc.

To sign up as a reader,
click this link.

The Read-a-Thon starts at the same time all over the world. I'm in the Central time zone of the United States, so the starting bell for me is at 7:00 a.m. this Saturday, October 22, 2011. Starting times for other parts of the world can be found here.

Have you checked out Dewey's challenging 24-hour Read-a-Thon?

Be a reader .........
......... a cheerleader
a promoter .................
.......... but be a part of it!

For me, it looks more reasonable to be a cheerleader (reading for 1 hour) and a promoter (posting this on my blog!). If you like reading, you could do one of these things, too!

3 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Oh, I'm so glad you signed up, too. I'll come by to encourage you -- known as cheerleading, in Readathon terminology -- and I'm sure I won't be the only one. If you want to see some of the posts from my previous readathon experiences, look here:

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/search/label/readathon

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I just read more carefully and see you are planning to do an hour of cheerleading and this promotional post. I encourage you to read, also. It too can be limited to one hour -- or whatever number of hours you would normally read on a Saturday.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Yay, Jan. I don't see you signed up on the list of readers. Did you sign up? Go ahead (if you didn't see my answer to your question, it's "YES") and sign up for your hour of reading, here:
http://24hourreadathon.com/2011/09/18/reader-sign-ups-october-11-read-a-thon/