Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Five: Insomnia Edition

MomPriest graciously jumped in today to give the RevGals a Friday Five:

So, on that note our Friday Five today will focus on sleep, or the lack there of.
1. Are you prone to sleep challenges? Insomnia, snoring, allergies? Other sleep challenges?
Ever since I was a teenager, I've had problems going to sleep. Sometimes reading helps me; other times, reading gets me so interested in the book that I cannot put it down--and so I stay up and up longer and longer.

My husband snores terribly, but that has been reduced since he has a sleep apnea machine he wears at night.

2. When you can't sleep what do you do? Toss and turn? Get up and read? Play computer games?
Toss and turn; get up and walk around the house; get up and get something to eat; read.

3. When you do sleep do you remember your dreams? Or just snippets of them?
I don't remember my dreams too often. Snippets of dreams are more likely to stick out.

4. Can you share a funny or confusing dream you've had? Or a dream you have over and over?
I forget the dream snippets too easily. When I was a child, I had a recurring and frightening dream of being in a war factory with long beams rolling over and over on to me. I think that had something to do with my dad being a Marine and things I overheard my parents talk about connected to his job.

5. When you don't sleep how do you get through the day? Lots of coffee? or a nap later in the day?
I drink cans and cans of TAB, which has a lot of caffeine in it. (I've never learned to drink coffee.) When it's cold, I drink hot tea. I only nap rarely, since I worry a nap will keep me from going to sleep that night. I usually get headaches if I've lost a lot of sleep and so need to take acetaminophen.

5 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

I forgot about the reading. I also cut way back on caffeine after 9/11.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

TAB? the soda in the pink can? or at least it used to be pink...

i get headaches too if i've lost too much sleep... hence the necessity of sunday afternoon naps!

Mary Beth said...

Ooh, Tab! I used to drink that every day in Jr. High...!

RevDrKate said...

Do they still MAKE Tab? Oh hate those sleep deprivation headaches...they are beasty!

Terri said...

TAB! it's hard to find up here in the north...Like you I worry that I nap will prevent me from sleeping that night so I just deal with the fatigue...sigh...