Tuesday, September 21, 2010

National Literacy Month (or YEAR)

Even though September will be over in only nine days, it is good to remember that this month was designated as National Literacy Month. However, who declared that to be in effect? "Savage Chickens" cartoonist Doug Savage drew the cartoon below, which brought "National Literacy Month" to my attention.

I discovered that the U.S. Government did not declare this; I found info here.

"The U.S. Congress designated July 2, 2000 as National Literacy Day. States, cities and counties also occasionally pass laws declaring a literacy month or week in their own jurisdictions. However, there is no permanently-established National Literacy Day."

Whether "official" or not, emphasis upon reading is important. When I drive around, I even advertise that point, because I pay $25 extra every year for this license plate:

Sadly, I discovered yesterday that the front license plate is no longer on my car. Did it fall off or was it taken?

That is beside the point. I just want to emphasize the importance of reading! We should realize how vital reading is to our lives every day of the year.

1 comment:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I grew up loving to read...both as a source of enjoyment and for learning. Love the license plates.