Saturday, September 4, 2010

Where is Fair Trade Chocolate?

Fair Trade Chocolate?

Last night CB and I went looking for Fair Trade chocolate here in Corpus Christi, TX. With all the foreign varieties at World Market, we were disappointed to find none carrying the label "Fair Trade." A few are organic, but not many.

In 2009 Cadbury came out advertising about their commitment to Fair Trade with their Dairy Milk Bar. They are still advocating that endeavor, but I am wondering if the company's recent sale to the Kraft Company will change that. Or is this Fair Trade Cadbury bar only sold in Great Britain or Europe? If anyone knows where Fair Trade Cadbury can be purchased in the United States, please let me know!

None of the bars at World Market carried the United Kingdom or international logos of Fair Trade. The UK logo is seen above and below.


Looking for this logo, I found a blog about Fair Trade, which looks quite interesting.

4 comments:

Terri said...

what about Whole Foods or Trader Joes?

Jan said...

Not here in Corpus Christi. Trader Joes are not in TX at all. Whole Foods is in various TX cities, but not Corpus Christi. The closest is in San Antonio.

I can find Theo chocolate bars at a little store called Sun Harvest here, but that's the only place.

altar ego said...

You know, I've been avoiding you since you started your chocolate posts. Well, not really, but I feel guilty when I think about all the ways that I am violating this part of the chocolate market. I guess that if I take on the pangs of conscience one pound of chocolate at a time I might work my way toward being a good consumer. Baby steps. I must remember that change comes most easily in baby steps.

Stratoz said...

Do you by chance have a 10,0000 Village close by. Fair Trade is all they sell. Mennonites can by quite kind to this world.

http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/