Friday, September 24, 2010

Doubting myself

I remember when I was in therapy and going to 12-step groups, people always compared growth to the peeling of an onion. It seems like we keep returning to the same behavior, even though we think we've gone beyond it. Back again!

I fell back into the behavior of thinking that I'm not good enough this past week. That has been a pattern throughout my entire life, probably because I grew up with an alcoholic father who was very critical. I now realize he acted this way due to his own feelings of inadequacy, but I did not know that when I was growing up.

Through therapy, healing and spiritual growth, I have gained more confidence in myself. Periodically, I fall again into self-denigration. At least now I don't stay in that self-critical mode as long; slowly I am learning.

This past week I was doubting my proficiency (what a term!) in prayer, as I continued to sit in meditation (or Christ Centered Prayer) twice a day. "Not good enough" was a refrain echoing within, but with continued centering prayer and keeping on, that diminished into non-existence.

Awareness of this weakness in me is key; if I can notice this tendency sooner, then I will let go of the judgment in a more timely manner. This pattern may never totally disappear, but I have faith that it will continue to lessen.

Growth seems to go forwards and backwards and in a spiral, but I am already beloved and whole in the sight of God--even if I don't know that yet. It's like the story of a person being hidden by 1,000 veils; with the unveiling of each one, sight becomes clearer; the person is still the same, but that cannot be seen until all is revealed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My spiritual director told me to read about "Doubts" in The Lessons: How to Understand Spiritual Principles, Spiritual Activities, and Rising Emotions by Sandy Casey-Martus and Carla Mancari. (This is not a book for easy reading; it is more of a workbook or reference book for spiritual growth.) Here are a few pertinent quotes that helped me:

"Doubts are inner rising mental vibrating energies which cause you to question your spiritual walk in all its phases."

"Doubts trigger a chain reaction. Doubts--disbelief--wavering--distrusting--hesitation--lack of creativity that may slow your forward progress. At times, doubts may freeze your ability to move to the inner awareness. For all these reasons, doubts are taken seriously."

"There are doubts when there doesn't appear to be any spiritual progress and there are doubts when there does appear to be progress. With doubts, it is always a no win--no win situation. "

Casey-Martus, Sandy and Mancari, Carla. The Lessons: How to Understand Spiritual Principles, Spiritual Activities, and Rising Emotions. Tucson: Wheatmark, 2008. 71-72.

8 comments:

Kimberly Mason said...

No words of wisdom from here, just a friend to hang out for a few minutes.

Nancy said...

It helped me to read this, because I woke up this morning with serious doubts about my abilities as a teacher. There is always so much more that I could do to help my students. It becomes overwhelming at times.

It's good to be reminded these are feelings we all experience. And can learn from.

Terri said...

I don't find doubting to be a bad thing, it is after all part of the spiritual cycle of life and growth. Living always in doubt is problematic, God does not intend for us to devalue our selves, but know that we are loved just as we are. But doubt reminds us that we are human and not God, and that we depend on God to guide us in life. Doubt as a spiritual process is a reminder that God is always at the root of life. Even when I doubt God, God does not let go of me, but holds on tight. It's startling really, to experience the tenacity of God.

That's part of what I have leaned this last year.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Jan--As someone who really struggles with prayer, I can empathize.

I recommend the book When in Doubt, Sing: Prayer in Daily Life, by Jane Redmont. I'm doing a book study on it with the women in my parish and I think it's enormously helpful. (Plus it's beautifully written...)

Cheers,
Doxy

Jaliya said...

Love to you, Jan xoxoxxoxxo!

It's said that faith can't exist without doubt ... They're two sides of the same coin, so to speak ... and always, *always* there are points of balance between the two poles ... Allow your faith and your doubt to be in relation with one another ...

Mompriest, I love your words, "the tenacity of God" ... and I think of the human soul's tenacity too. Our insistence on love ... on searching through the muck for gems of awareness ...

Jan, go to YouTube or elsewhere and give a listen to Paul Simon's song "Quiet" (it's from his album *You're The One"). It's one of my musical balms. There's a verse that goes like this:

"And when they say
you're not good enough
Well the answer is
You're not
But who are they
or what is it
that eats at what you've got..."

xoxo

Sherry Peyton said...

Nutz! my comment blew up. Let me try again. I was saying that if I were to sit down to list all the things you have taught me,I'd be writing a good part of a day. And, in some real ways, you have been a spiritual director to me. {{{Jan}}}

Robin said...

That workbook sounds like a great resource. Thank-you.

Jan said...

Thank you.