Saturday, August 30, 2008

Recovering!

Thank you for prayers for my knee arthroscopy and for healing. They must have helped because I managed to stay awake throughout the 1 1/2 hour procedure, watching the monitor most of the time to see what was being done. Though I must admit I had to close my eyes every so often. The worst moment was when I saw the doctor's clippers and HEARD the clipping! Another time to have my eyes closed.

I tried to pray the Jesus Prayer during the knee twisting and cutting. What is interesting was at one point, the doctor told me, "Whatever you're thinking, keep thinking that." That seems to be an affirmation of the effect of prayers. Maybe I was more relaxed then; I don't know.

So far it has all been better than I expected. The second day (Thursday) was the most painful, but I had also been told that that would be so. Each day I am feeling better. However, today I was so energized that I walked too much with crutches, and so now my knee is hurting again. My husband rigged up a seat by the computer, so I can sit with the keyboard on my lap.

Thanks to Songbird's suggestions, I have been reading Julia Spencer-Fleming books ever since I got back home. I'd checked out two of her mysteries from the library before the surgery, and then dear CB has gone to the library twice to get two of her other books. Surprisingly, I am even reading them in the order that they were written! (You can see the titles I've read by looking at my sidebar under "Books I've read in 2008.")

Today MJ (who came home from college for the weekend) bought me the last two books at Barnes and Noble, because the library doesn't have these copies. I figure I'll donate them to the library when I've read them. I am so enjoying reading mysteries as I recuperate; I am not much of a tv watcher and haven't managed to log onto the computer until today. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to read fiction!

18 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! And that you're using this time to just relax.

I had fun with mysteries this summer. If you want to try another series (to be read in order), read "Maisie Dobbs". (That's the title of the first book.) And, of course, Laurie R. King's series which starts with "The Beekeeper's Apprentice." (also to be read in order)

Terri said...

really glad to hear that you are doing well! and that all is progressing as seems normal! YAY!! glad to have you back with us - and - I love Flemmings books, need to get some for myself....

Lauralew said...

Good to hear you are reading whatever you want! You go, girl! And am glad you are healing up so nicely!

ROBERTA said...

great to hear your voice again - take it easy.....and thanks for the fiction recommendation.....i just reserved the first book from the library......

Fran said...

I was wondering how you were- glad you are ok.

Read, heal, relax, enjoy.

We will all be here awaiting you with great love and many prayers!!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear from you! Continued healing and enjoy your reading!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Glad to hear you're recovering. I too was wondering how you are.

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, too. Have fun with the mysteries! I have a couple on hold from the library. hope I get a chance to read them!

Rev SS said...

Joining the chorus of well wishers. Glad to hear the good news!

Billie Greenwood said...

Thank you for the update. So glad it is good news. Enjoy the fiction!! We'll be happy to read you here when you're back to full tilt.

Katherine E. said...

Hi Jan!
Hope you had a great, and very restful, Labor Day. May the week ahead be slow and good!
Katherine

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Hope all is going well.

Jen-Jenny-Jennifer said...

What's the Jesus prayer? Could you pass it on to me? Glad you're doing well. . .

Sherry said...

Oh Jan, I'm just soo pleased the surgery went well and you are on the way to a full recovery! Take it easy now, and don't get a going too fast. Enjoy being waited on for another few days!

QuakerDave said...

Happy to hear you're recooping well.

Me, I'd never watch that. They'd have to knock me all the way out!

Jennifer said...

I'm continuing to pray, and glad you're healing.

zorra said...

So glad you're mending well! Enjoy this time of rest.

emmapeelDallas said...

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well. If you like mysteries, I highly recommend Henning Mankell's Inspector Wallender series, but do read them in order. I've just worked my way through all of them, and I'm anxiously awaiting more!

Judi