Monday, August 4, 2008

Seek the Truth

From Jim Winkler, General Secretary, General Board of Church & Society, United Methodist Church:

"It always amazes me when I meet people who obviously don’t pay attention to what is going on in the world, but are nevertheless eager to express their opinion. At the same time, I know that many others feel beaten down, disheartened by the course of life. Too often, they are hungry, poor and sick. Many feel powerless and disenfranchised about life.

"There’s no easy answer to these sad realities. Once you know something about the injustices surrounding you, failure to act is irresponsible.

"The citizens of Nazi Germany learned that the hard way. After the war, millions claimed they didn’t know what was happening in their own country. They may have been fearful. They may have tried to ignore reality, but they knew something bad was happening — even with Goebbel’s masterful lying.

"Disease, poverty, war, violence, hunger, racism and other social ills confront us. Don’t bury your head in the sand. Seek the truth. Pay attention, please. Follow Jesus and get to work."


To read the rest of the article, go here.

6 comments:

QuakerDave said...

While I agree with the ideas expressed here, it would be nice of the United Methodists would all practice what is preached here. I left the UMC because of their treatment of women pastors (which used to be pretty discriminatory) and their treatment of gays and lesbians (which hasn't changed all that much).

Jan said...

I also left the UMC. I think Jim Winkler is one of those people who keeps challenging the UMC to go beyond their current stance of inward looking and tending towards fundamentalism. There is a more liberal UMC that I love, but which is in little evidence except through people like Jim Winkler.

Jan said...

Dave, I'd really be interested in hearing your story of becoming a Quaker. Since we both were formerly members of the UMC, I'd like to know how that came about. I am attracted to the Friends but like the liturgy of the Episcopal Church. Perhaps you've already written about this, and so I would appreciate you directing me to that post. Thanks.

Lori said...

Here is the thing that gives me the cold shudders:

A seemingly prevailing attitude of "it's not MY fault"...and "I'm not responsible" sweeping through young people and then to children,

and the new business models of thousands to millions of layoffs being "good for business". Whose business? Not America's. Well, OK, maybe 5 or 6 Americans.

Stinks of 1930 Germany to me.

Fran said...

My new mantra..."Disease, poverty, war, violence, hunger, racism and other social ills confront us. Don’t bury your head in the sand. Seek the truth. Pay attention, please. Follow Jesus and get to work."

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is a challenging post--thank you for it.