Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Price of Sugar

The most current Sojourners magazine points to a 90-minute documentary "The Price of Sugar":

"After watching The Price of Sugar, a film by Bill Haney, you'll think twice about that sweet stuff you put in your coffee. The 90-minute documentary follows the work of Father Christopher Hartley, a Spanish priest who lives among Haitian sugarcane laborers lured to the Dominican Republic by the promise of employment. In reality, the Haitians work under armed guards, with little food, housing, health care, or wages. Where does most of the harvested sugar end up? The U.S."

You can watch the movie trailer here or down below:



As I am addicted to sugar, this is good for me to know more about.

8 comments:

QuakerDave said...

reminds me of "Bury the Chains," the book I read about the abolitionists in Great Britain. The sugar trade drove the slave trade, to a large extent, and boycotting sugar helped end the slave trade.

Kate Morningstar said...

Jan, I wanted to give you the Kick-Ass blogger award, cuz you hang your laundry on the line and are such a good person and have led me to good poetry and books. But Mimi's tattoo won my heart at the last minute, it's pretty kick-ass, and I only had five picks.

So then I came over here to award you the award you shoulda had anyway, and find the price of sugar video. You really ARE a kick-ass blogger, and a good friend. Go back to my place to see how you get your award.

I'll miss you while I'm away.

Terri said...

oh, geeze...I thought our sugar came from Puerto Rico and Hawaii...just really wish the "world" did not endorse, through ignorance, slave labor...seems to me most poor countries are the victims of large global industry companies that do this very thing...

Sherry said...

Well things couldn't be worse for me. I can't use beet sugar or splenda because I can't digest the molecule. It's different from cane sugar which I can. Sigh, as Gilda said, "It's always something." Thanks for the heads up Jan.

ROBERTA said...

i added the movie to my netflix queue. I guess it comes out in September. I watched the intro on the web site and the falling sugar looked like cocaine! it might as well be for me - i am completely addicted to this white substance.

Jan said...

Hey, Roberta, I never thought of getting it on netflix. What a good idea--thanks!!

Lauralew said...

I wish I had seen this earlier this evening before I made peach shortcake. I only used half the sugar the recipe called for, though. We don't use much as we don't like it much, but still use too much. I've heard the white sugar=cocaine comparison before; someone said the molecules are really similar and that is why sugar is so addictive.

It is just SO important to know where our food and the stuff that makes the food taste better comes from... I wonder if anyone will make a label for sugar like there is for coffee.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Not much has changed, has it? Like Dave, I'm thinking of slavery.

Makes me glad I've mostly stopped using the stuff. (I'm using honey, maple syrup, or molasses instead.) What's harder is to find processed foods that use alternative sweeteners, but they are out there.