Sunday, August 10, 2008

August 10

It is funny/odd how anniversaries of dates can affect one, without awareness of what day one is living in. I've been especially thinking of my mother today and feeling a little sad. Just a little while ago, I realized that today is August 10. That was my parents' wedding anniversary.

A few days before my mother died in July 1992, I was here in Seattle visiting TFJ. We went shopping and the only thing I was interested in finding was an appropriate anniversary card for my parents, because I knew it would be the last one they shared. I found a silver Asian floral card that was just right, which is now framed in my house.

One day after buying the card, I got the phone call in Seattle that my mother had slipped into a coma. She died the next day. So long ago and usually I do not think about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more day in Seattle before heading north to Bellingham. Husband CB went off on a Greyhound bus to Bellingham today. His parents met him at the bus station. If I had parents living, I'd rush up there, too.

Tomorrow MJ and I will visit the Music Experience and then meet AE at the University Bookstore, because it's a good place to find cards, which I love to send. Then we'll get KA at her office and go to Green Lake to walk around it. I am excited about walking around Green Lake. (Since it's flat, my knee should be okay; I've learned it hurts when I go downhill!) After dinner with the girls, MJ and I will drive the rental car to Bellingham to CB's parents' home, which is about a mile away from where my parents' house is/was.

It is wonderfully cool weather-wise and beautiful. It's hard to imagine Texas heat right now!

8 comments:

Terri said...

memories of family...I'm not sure of my parents wedding anniversary...but, what a sweet memory for you!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Isn't it amazing how the subconscious never forgets something like that date?

It sounds like you have a great day planned for tomorrow. Have a good time.

Barbara B. said...

It's nice to picture you in our area! :)

Mavis said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is amazing how we have an internal clock wired to family events even when not consciously aware of them.

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, thanks for sharing your parents' anniversary.

my grandparents' is August 26.

have a great day today!

QuakerDave said...

It is amazing how we have an internal clock wired to family events even when not consciously aware of them.

It's really kind of weird and powerful, isn't it?

Sounds like you're having fun! KEEP IT UP!

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you have memory-maiking opportunities tomorrow.
Love to you.

Fran said...

What a moving tale Jan... you write so beautifully.

And I know about your love of sending cards... I have been the recipient of so many and I am always deeply grateful.

Sending cards is not my gift, but know I always send you prayers, friendship and love.