Monday, March 31, 2008

Seeing the Same Moon

The divided, ascending The image “http://www.sinister-designs.com/graphicarts/images/inabathumb.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
paths at the foot of the mountain
Do differ, but
We all see the very same
Moon at the summit

~~Nitobe Inazo
1862-1933
(an early Quaker!)



Artist:
YOSHITOSHI TSUKIOKA: One Hundred Views of the Moon, 1885-1892

This is Yoshitoshi's most popular series: the selection demonstrates why. More can be seen at the Stuart Jackson Gallery.


Here's another about enlightenment and the moon:

Moon of Enlightenment
The night clouds dissolve
Hotei pointing at the moon
holds no opinion

7 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I love this quote. thank you.

Episcopollyanna said...

I love synchronicity; I was just reading about Quakers not five minutes ago. Great quote and art!

Barbara B. said...

very cool!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Jan,

I had not seen this particular quote...but I love it. Thank you for sharing.

Kate Morningstar said...

I just re-read the poem about seeing the same moon from different paths -- it's even more wonderful tonight than last night.

Easter Almuena said...

Interesting, Jan! I love that your posts are unique.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Jan. Thank you.