From the conversation at our table, I was reminded of one of the nicest things that ever happened to me, most unexpectedly. When my dad died in 2002, we had a memorial service for him at Garden Street United Methodist Church in Bellingham, WA. He had not wanted a funeral; as his only child, I wanted a memorial service. Neither of my parents went to church, nor did CB's parents attend one at that time. Garden Street UMC kindly offered to hold the service when we told that we were members of the Methodist Church in Corpus Christi, TX.
What was surprising and very gracious was that the United Methodist Women had a lovely reception following the memorial service. They offered to do this for an unknown family, with no prospect of us becoming members. Having no siblings or close relatives, there was no expectation of anyone joining their church! Their hospitality was spontaneous, generous, and kind. My heart is still warmed when I think of this.
This was an example of hospitality to the stranger(s).
And this is where both my parents' and also my mother's parents' ashes are interned--at Greenacres Cemetery in Ferndale, WA.
7 comments:
So good to hear this story. Our UMW extends this kind of hospitality too. Never more important than at time like this. I like the picture, too.
This is the kind of hospitality that many people seem to expect; the fact that you recognize it as something radical says more about you, Jan, than it does about anyone else.
Working for a church, I'm often amazed at what people take for granted at times like this. People who never went to church on a regular basis or supported one financially expect the red carpet to be rolled out when a loved one dies. And while I accept that this is a good time to show radical hospitality and possibly an opportunity to evangelize, they are often so demanding to the point of being rude that it leaves a bad taste.
Oddly, or maybe not so, it is the people who come on a regular basis, who give and give and give, that show the most gratitude. They are the ones who offer a donation to the church and don't try to make special demands about the service, the minister, the music, whether there is a funeral luncheon and what will be served.
I've seen it so many times... "Joe passed away--we used to go to your church--we want to use your building--we want to bring in a different minister that we like better than yours--we just found out that minister can't/won't do the service, can yours?--we want to use your hall afterward--no, we don't want your crappy food, we want to have it catered--we just found out what it costs to have it catered, what can you do for us?"
And then no donation. No thank you. The door slams and they are gone, no matter how aquiescent we have been, no matter how accomodating and hospitable.
It's a bit mind boggling. (sheepishly) Sorry I ranted a bit.
Missy, we also sent them a donation after we returned home.
I'm sorry that so many people take such hospitality for granted. It was a gift to me, especially spiritually.
Hosptiality is a beautiful thing.
I feel sad when it in't exercised or appreciated...
What a beautiful story.
My parish has hospitality like this; I have not seen or experienced this before.
When there is a funeral many of us go, even if we don't know the person. The parish does what that church did- we offer a reception if the family wishes one, no questions asked.
There is a "Resurrection Choir" a phone tree of people who come together as a choir to sing.
Receive all as Christ, Amen, Amen.
However, as Missy says - the shadow side is the not easy to please. We know that this is a time of sorrow, but it sadly can turn quite unpleasant.
It is a challenge.
That is a lovely story, Jan. Thanks for sharing it.
What a beautiful story.
It also makes me realize how seldom I really do feel welcome. I think our society's individualism (oh, and just a bit of egocentrism) does not lend itself readily to hospitality. It is why we need to learn the Gospel values of serving one another, of seeing Christ in everyone.
Post a Comment