o “Become empty of yourself and realize inner silence.” Lao Tzu - Tao
o “Be still and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10 – Judeo/Christian
o “Thus, only true Silence is eternal speech, the Heart-to-Heart talk.”
Swami Satyeswarananda Giri - Hindu
o “Be silent that the Lord who gave you language may speak.” Jahal – Al – Din Rumi -Islam
o “Silence is a privileged entry into the realm of God and into eternal life. For silence is a language that is infinitely deeper, more far reaching, more understanding, more compassionate, and more eternal than any other language.” Meister Eckhart – Christian
o He (the American Indian) believes profoundly in silence – the sign of perfect equilibrium. Silence is the absolute poise or balance of body, mind, and spirit. Ohiyesa – Native American
o “When you pray…you yourself must be silent; let the prayer speak.” Archimandrite Kallistos Ware – Greek Orthodox
o "It is as we join with others in a way that only human beings can, in a shared engagement in a common vision, that we find ourselves in the presence of another presence that is the final source of our hopes and intentions, and that undergirds and sustains them." -Rabbi Judith Plaskow - Jewish
o "The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers." Thich Nhat Hanh - Buddhist
(From Spiritual Directors International email 3-25-08)
6 comments:
"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Sorry, I felt like quoting too.
wyld's quote is good too!
Hey, Wyld, thanks for coming by AND for that great quote! Diane, thank you, too.
I love Wyld's quote!
And this post!!
Jan, thank you. I've been moving in and out of feeling overwhelmed -- the progress of my Dad's illness has speeded up. I read your list, and copied it and sent it to my friend. And then I went and sat and was silent for a while. I'm very peaceful right now.
Thank you again -- you were a very present help, in both sense of "present".
How beautiful. Yes, agreed, totally.
Post a Comment