
The live oak trees have scattered pollen all around the yards and deck. Our fuzzy cocker spaniel Baillie keeps tracking it into the house. Pollen strands fall into the dogs' water dish, so it is refreshed frequently. There are piles of pollen along our driveway and the sidewalks.
I remember when I first moved to TX in 1978, I could not understand why a tree would be called "live" oak--were there "dead" oak trees living?? Oh, well. They grow into beautiful shade trees and don't seem to lose some of their leaves until after January.
This is the end of the third nine weeks period in our public schools here. This is the grand computation time--when the seniors will learn their final class ranking. MJ has been #2 all through high school. In a few weeks we'll learn whether she's maintained that spot and will be one of the graduation speakers.
Last weekend I noticed that my left elbow was hurting. By Easter it was swollen and has continued this way all week. I self-diagnosed myself as having bursitis in my elbow, a new "condition" for me. The Mayo Clinic advises consulting a doctor after 10 days, so I'll see how it is on Monday. My elbow swelled more in the middle of the week when I tried to live normally, so I'm back to coddling that left arm and icing it down a few times a day.
The dead animal smell is almost gone, though still somewhat detectable by the kitchen sink. I learned on the internet to put out bowls of vinegar, and that seemed to help defuse some of the odor. Last night we even ate our dinner at the kitchen table, which shows how much better the situation is.
Here's a classic picture of a Texas live oak tree with bluebonnets, which are blooming at this time of year. TX wildflowers are wonderful!

6 comments:
The bluebonnets here are just peeking out...we don't have near so many up here in north Texas as there are in other parts so we enjoy them all the more.
I think the deal on the "live oaks" is that they are "alive" (keep their leaves) when other varieties lose theirs and look dead. All an illusion : )
Have you listened to any of Tolle and Oprah's class? I enjoyed the discussion about how naming things can disconnect us from life because we are caught up in our concept of "tree" rather than experiencing the real thing.
I loved the photo of the live oaks and bluebonnets...makes me want to lay down in that field and just soak in the life.
Loving you,
Kathy
Good luck to MJ!
What a gorgeous photo of the wildflowers!
how heart-lifting, wow!
Beautiful picture .. glad your smell is almost gone, and hope your elbow improves soon.
Thanks for letting me know my link didn't work ... it's corrected now.
Beautiful picture .. glad your smell is almost gone, and hope your elbow improves soon.
Thanks for letting me know my link didn't work ... it's corrected now.
You've had a tough time...
Post a Comment