Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Isaiah 50:4

This morning I got an email from my friend MB that I should read Isaiah 50:4-9a, as she'd thought of me when she'd read this lectionary reading. THEN before our lectio group started, she read it to me and asked me to read it aloud, too. Later today, she emailed me again and only wrote, "Read Isaiah 50:4 again."

50:4 The Lord GOD has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens-- wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught.

MB warmed my heart by connecting me to this verse. She sees me as a teacher and perhaps one who encourages others. I am glad; that is whom I would like to be.

But I think I need to be praying that I will awaken to listen each morning and be taught! I keep getting the message that I need to be more attentive. . . .

3 comments:

Fran said...

How true is that! That verse is so perfect for you!!!

Crimson Rambler said...

Any thoughts on WHY the attentiveness thing is so hard? and any shortcuts to acquiring the skill? (ha)

Anonymous said...

I think your friend is right, you are a teacher. And the best teachers know how to listen---to themselves, to God and to the other.