It has been a difficult week here in Dowham Market, and yet in the sadness there have been signs of real hope, young people, often criticised have shown us how caring and amazing they are. It has also been a strange week; it snowed for almost the first time this winter, and yet many of the spring bulbs are blooming, and the trees are blossoming!
I believe that if we look carefully we can see signs of hope all around us.... as for signs of spring... well you tell me....
Bluebells in my garden, before the snow!
What have you seen/ heard this week that was a :
1. Sign of hope?
Psalm 130 in our lectio group this week, especially
130:5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope;
130:6 my soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning.
The sharing about the scripture were very hopeful. I felt like I was called to be waiting for God in expectation just as the father of the prodigal son waited in anticipation for his son's return.
2. An unexpected word of light in a dark place?
If you look at my post Detachment, you'll see how I experienced Light in what usually would be a very dark place in my own life.
3. A sign of spring?
The pink flowers pictured above are called by my friends in TX "buttercups" but I always think, "But they're PINK!" Where I grew up buttercups were yellow! Anyway, these pink poppies are the first Texas wildflowers I've seen--in fact, today in someone's yard!
4. Challenging/ surprising?
What is challenging that I have to plan a lesson on ten chapters of a book for Sunday, which seems impossible, so maybe I'll do half of those or a smattering. . .
5. Share a hope for the coming week/month/year....
I hope that I will choose HEALTH more consistently, especially in food and exercise.
Bonus play... a piece of music/ poem guaranteed to cheer you?
For the love of a tree, she went out on a limb.
For the love of the sea, she rocked the boat
For the love of the earth, she dug deeper.
For the love of community, she mended fences.
For the love of the stars, she let her light shine.
For the love of spirit, she nurtured her soul.
For the love of a good time, she sowed seeds of happiness.
For the love of the Goddess, she drew down the moon.
For the love of a good meal, she gave thanks.
For the love of family, she reconciled differences.
For the love of creativity, she entertained new possibilities.
For the love of her enemies, she suspended judgment.
For the love of herself, she acknowledged her worth.
And the world was richer for her…..
~ Charlotte Tall Mountain
12 comments:
The buttercups are so much prettier in pink. Good luck with detachment. AlAnon is SO much more difficult than AA.
The wildflowers are beautiful! I read your post on detachment. I think I'll make that the word of the day today. Thankd.
All is soggy and brown here. Loved the flowers. I enjoyed the detachment post. I think before getting to forgiveness we need to let go. If we are holding on to something, our hands are not free to embrace something better. But so hard. Thanks for sharing!
Oh, beautiful poem--thank you.
Going to read your thoughts on detachment now...
I am sorry for the loss of the young man in your friend's community. So very sad.
My daughter was in Dallas this week and she said it snowed there. I was really surprised, I didn't think Texas got snow!
I love your signs of hope. Thank you for including that, I'd like to carry this around with me today:
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope.
Love the poem. . . .
Your hope is similar to mine!
Lovely flowers, BTW. In Michigan we're nowhere near seeing any flowers outside.
Jan, those are technically "Evening Primroses" but I grew up calling them buttercups. Love them. thanks!
all gorgeous, from the wildflowers to the poem, THANK YOU once again, Jan!
I love the buttercups. :)
We have those flowers all over here in So. Calif. They are so pretty.
And thanks for the poem. It is really inspiring.
WOW...the flowers, the poem, the detachment reflection....all very wonderful gifts. Thank you!
That poem was beautiful Jan, sorry I'm just now getting over here, I've been so busy and so tired.
I have been on my knees praying about what homosexuality means to our culture, it is such a struggle for me. It is not something I want to argue with anyone about.
I hope you are well and God bless you this day. I too am trying to choose excersise and eating well - you've got a partner in that!
Post a Comment