Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Five: Words

Today's Friday Five for RevGalBlogPals:

There is a dramatic and surprising venue for Spiritual Formation/Sunday School classes at my church: Each week a different person teaches about a "word" that expresses his/her passion or interest. The first week someone spoke about "hospitality" with abundant treats on her mother and grandmother's china arrayed on tables. Other words have been "connectivity," "Trinity," "money," and "dreams." No one knows which person will be teaching until the class convenes. I am teaching this Sunday and plan to talk about "stirrings."

For this Friday Five, please list five words that identify your passions, spirituality, and/or life. Describe as much or as little as you wish.

And now I have spent the day trying to organize my thoughts about "stirrings," as mentioned above. So I am quickly and briefly doing this FF:

1. procrastination: Obviously, what I do, especially about writing. I even have a blog label entitled "Procrastination."

2. stirrings: Coming from that time at Lebh Shomea where I was first struck with stirrings, I am trying to be more attentive to these subtle feelings within me.

"A glimpse is not a vision. But to a man on a mountain road at night, a glimpse of the next three feet of road may matter more than a vision of the horizon."
~~C. S. Lewis

3. yearning: As my blog title shows, I yearn for God, now realizing that this yearning is actually the presence of God!

"Julian regards prayer as an act of yearning which leads to beseeching, and beseeching leads to beholding. Yearning is the first mark of awakened soul, the beginning of its movement back to its source, its deep rootedness in the being of God."
~~Kenneth Leech

4. connection: I thirst for connection--with both friends and family. It is surprising how the internet can provide a depth of relationship, although personal/physical connections are the most intimate.

5. meditation: Since beginning to practice Christ-Centered Prayer, which is centering prayer without a word to focus upon, I have found greater peace, confidence, and even some detachment.

3 comments:

Jemma said...

What a beautiful quote about yearning. Thank you for sharing these words that weave together so beautifully

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Stirrings is such a great word. It is movement that will not let go...thanks for a great Friday Five.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... my five words, Love (as a definition of God), relationship (to God, to others, to the many layers of myself), quiet (solitude, long for quiet tiem), joy (can exist in the midst of suffering), and gratitude (for all)
Andie