In two days my husband and I will have been married (ulp!) forty years. And, of course, Valentine's Day is coming soon so I'm thinking about love. For today's Friday Five, tell us about five people you love, people who will remain in your "heart" forever. This can be a friend, teacher, family member, mentor, pastor...
FIVE already would be fulfilled if I just listed my husband and four children. They are always in my heart, plus more are added with my children's marriages and offspring (Avery!).
Friends have already been discussed with my failed January Naplobomo.com on Friends. They are special friends, but I am going to try to stretch myself and think of others who are in my heart besides all of the above.
Today I tend to think of people who have died who continue to exist in my heart.
1. My mother: She died in 1992, and I am accustomed to her absence now. She was my friend, confidante and encourager. Even though she lived in WA State, she visited us at least twice a year and then we went to Washington every summer.
2. Judy Dickson: Like my mother, she died quickly with pancreatic cancer. She was the therapist who saved me while I suffered from depression. After going to The Meadows, I was sent to aftercare here in Corpus Christi; I lasted only one day, because I knew more than they did! I remember one of the activities was to make something out of beads, like in kindergarten. My dear husband negotiated with the insurance company for me to have therapy three times a week, which occurred for years with Judy. Her wisdom, humor and spirituality connected deeply with me.
3. Margy Hoffman: Margy was the kindergarten teacher for three of my four children. Her husband worked for the same company as mine, and so we became friends. We also went on our pilgrim Walk to Emmaus together in 1994. We shared spiritual yearning and an abused childhood. She was the first person to show me how to listen--Margy waited and never filled in the spaces with words!
4. Helen Brauer: Helen was a member of the weekly Wisdom Class, which is a book study group at all Saints Episcopal Church. She always looked elegant, down to a matching purse and shoes. I still remember a charming little shoulder purse that was quaint and unusual. Helen showed and expressed love, especially as she neared death. Her dear husband is now attending the Wisdom Class, because she loved it so much and he feels connected with her there.
5. Joe Lovelady: Joe died in September 2008. He was married to my good friend Mary Jane, who has since moved to California. They moved to Corpus Christi from Montana to retire and he died of cancer. Joe was a funny, caring, musical and teaching sort of man. Mary Jane gave me a little pottery moose of his, which sits on my kitchen windowsill.
Of course there are others--a heart is never too crowded for more love.

4 comments:
You too chose to feature people who are lost to you now but who meant a lot on your journey. Maybe it is the portraits of those people that let us grieve, but with hope.
I will always love my therapist, Laura. She taught me to claim and name my feelings, to see things from my own point of view and not what I was supposed to see, according to various authority figures. Like mom, of course. Peace to you.
This made me cry. Not sure why. I LOVE the pic up top of that very crowded heart!
Lovely, like you.
Post a Comment