Saturday, February 5, 2011

Girl Scout Cookie Time!

It is Girl Scout Cookie Time again. It is a tradition to buy them and eat them, especially when they are frozen, at our house.

The thought of Girl Scout Cookies brings back lots of memories:
  • Selling door-to-door, lugging the boxes around with me--back in the 1950's!
  • When my mother was our Brownie leader in Quantico, VA, she brought some of the girls to stand outside the Mess Hall and sell cookies. We sold a lot, which now seems understandable with those young Marines probably having younger sisters our age! A few years later, we may have done that at Camp Pendleton, too.
  • When I was the cookie chairperson for AE's Girl Scout Troop in 1989, we had cases and cases of Girl Scout Cookies around our living room. I vividly remember this, because that was the time I found out I was pregnant with our fourth child, MJ. This was unplanned, and I worried so much that she would not be developing well because some days I would eat an entire box of Thin Mints or Peanut Butter Tag-a-longs for lunch! This was before I knew I was pregnant, as one could not learn that as early as women can nowadays. (Fortuitously, MJ is healthy, pretty and smart and did not seem to be adversely affected by all that sugar, or by cans of TAB, which accompanied the cookies.)
  • Now we rarely get girls selling at our door, but find groups selling in front of stores or on street corners. I found my cookies at the corner of a busy street where I was turning right; I kept on turning right--into the parking lot!
And now that I am trying to return to healthier eating, the cartoon below really struck me as funny.

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Yep. GS Cookie Time is so much a part of my past that I can't NOT buy from at least a few kiddos.

The Bug said...

My boss has two daughters selling this year - of course I had to get some :) The tag-a-longs are my favorite - & I can eat an entire box in a day too. Fortunately I just ordered ONE box of those!

Wendy said...

We ordered ours at church.

Magdalene6127 said...

We are hosting a Brownie troop in our church now-- yay! They came to sell their treasures to last Sunday's coffee hour. They also contributed mightily to the joy and hilarity of worship. We love our Brownies!

Terri said...

I remember selling the cookies door to door! Love them, still.

Fran said...

I used to sell them too... what memories. However, I have been buying and eating them for much longer!!

My coworker's daughter was just in selling... and yes, I made a purchase. I like to buy them now and give them away!

Love the cartoon!!