Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Star of the Evening

For the past 15 years or so, my husband and I have been involved in a monthly dinner group, which was first made up of (his) company's employees and spouses and now most of the employees are retired. It is sometimes laughingly called "The Casserole Club."

Tonight was our turn to host this dinner, with five couples, counting us. Oddly, the star of the evening was CB's Keurig coffee maker.That was my surprising Christmas gift to CB a few months ago. He is notoriously difficult to buy gifts for. When our sister-in-law Chris told me how much she loved hers on our visit to Bellingham last summer, I decided to get one for him.

It is a silly extravagance, though I am told that it makes excellent coffee. Since I do not drink coffee, a single-cup brewer seemed ideal for my husband. He likes the coffee.

Tonight the friends from this dinner group were amazed by it, never having seen or heard about one before. (You have to realize that most members of this group are 10-15 years older than us.) I am betting that one man is going to go buy one very soon. His wife, my daughter's former piano teacher, made mugs of coffee for anyone who wanted one tonight. It was cute.

No comments: