Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Self-Discipline

Since I have always been someone who procrastinates, I think that I am a 9 on the Enneagram. With outside deadlines, I always get things done. (However, without them, I'm not so "efficient.") Even in graduate school in the past decade, I could write A papers a few days beforehand. It's a bad way to be, because I don't work to my full potential.

I recently rediscovered this book in my book-laden home: Making a Change for Good: A Guide to Compassionate Self-Discipline by Cheri Huber, who is a Zen teacher and author.
As a sidelight, I thought it was printed in the Papyrus font, which evidently is being used in all sorts of ways, according to my daughter in Seattle. This same daughter informed me that this book does not have the papyrus font; but now I don't know what type of font it is. Obviously, I am confused about the papyrus font, too.

I have a poor attitude about "self-discipline," because I broadly say, "I don't have any." Rationally, I realize I have to have some to survive, but I judge myself as inadequate in finishing some things, like my papers for graduate school, cleaning out years of junk in closets, dieting, etc., etc. So I am now working on a new attitude, which corresponds to my crossroads logo. This book is helping me, especially because it has a 30 day guided "retreat" with journaling at the back of the book.

I need to remember:

"Nothing in life is a matter of 'fault'; no amount of self-discipline will ever give anyone control over life (control is an illusion); happiness does not depend on circumstances; and life is always exactly as it is!" (2)

"...compassionate self-discipline is nothing other than being present rather than engaged in distracted, unfocused, addictive behaviors based in an I-need-to-fix-myself mentality." (4)

"WE DON'T LACK SELF-DISCIPLINE, WE LACK PRESENCE." (4)

The author's advice is to meditate, which goes along with my Lenten practice of sitting with God each day.

8 comments:

MumPastor said...

Hi Jan, just read your comment over at my blog, and decided to visit - this sounds like a great book and one I need to read! I want to go back and read your post again more carefully, and maybe figure out what an ennegram is, but thank you for visiting my place, and glad to meet you!

Lauralew said...

This is amazing--so many of the blogs I've read today are about a perceived lack of self discipline, things left undone, unfinished, etc. And in my journaling today I mentioned that trait in myself. What is God calling us to? This really is interesting.

Song in my Heart said...

Interesting.

I have wondered why regular habits that help us to be more present (prayer, meditation, journaling) can sometimes result in getting more done and seeming to have more 'self-discipline'. The difficulty I have with the usual language surrounding self-discipline is that it makes it feel like if we fail, we simply aren't trying hard enough.

Anne said...

That's not papyrus font.

Jan said...

IF, I changed my post to reflect your info. I don't know how to discern fonts, esp. papyrus now.

Lauralew, I haven't looked at enough blogs tonight to find what you're talking about. It's interesting that you observed this phenomenon though.

Mumpastor, I'm glad you stopped by, as well as Song in My Heart.

Magdalene6127 said...

Jan, this sounds really lovely. Thanks for sharing... this likely 9 will be looking for it on Amazon.

Katherine E. said...

Cheri Huber is a friend of mine's Zen teacher, Jan. It's so neat that you've found this book.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Bless you, Jan! This was just what I needed to read today. I know what's going in my reading queue next...

Pax,
Doxy