Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hi. I'm an introvert.

Introvert Bench!

After an unusually busy weekend for me, I am wanting time alone, even skipping a meeting at church today. I acknowledge that I need to "recharge my energy," which I just read about here. The author cited is Marti Olsen, who wrote The Introvert Advantage, which I have not read.

"Introverts have social skills, they like people, and they enjoy some types of socializing… Introverts enjoy one-on-one conversations, but group activities can be overstimulating and drain energy."

Marti Olsen Laney, Psy.D

That pretty much describes me!
Friday night there was a church choir potluck dinner, as husband CB is in the choir, at a member's house. Saturday night there was a company retirees dinner, which is made up of six couples. We were there for four hours before being the first to depart. We're almost always the first to leave (CB is also an introvert) any event, which held true for both dinners. We have a good time--and get tired sooner than everyone else!

I was one of the hostesses of a bridal shower on Saturday afternoon. 35 women came, most of whom I know from my former church (First United Methodist Church). The shower was for the sister of oldest son DC's best friend as they grew up. I was happy to participate and help and enjoyed the time there, but had to leave after three hours so I could get home and make a salad for the dinner that night!

This morning I helped another person teach a class on the Enneagram. This is a Sunday School class that will meet each Sunday in March. Just as with any type of self-reflection, working the Enneagram or spiritual path, I am realizing (again) that we need to accept and not judge as either "good" or "bad" our attributes. The way is awareness, acceptance, action, a teaching from Al-Anon that continues to reverberate in my being.

I do find that I accept myself being an introvert, which actually was the reason I gave the co-chairperson of the committee (that is meeting right now) that I could not attend--that I was "overwhelmed" and needed some time alone. Whew! That is so true.

Here's a funny but true article about introverts by Jonathan Rauch.

7 comments:

Barbara B. said...

I like the introvert bench :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds exhausting.....

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Hello, my name is Purple and I am an introvert. I do find I have to continually explain what an introvert is and is not.

Sherry said...

Yikes, if you do all that and are an introvert, then good knows, I must be a hermit! LOL. We all need time don't we to recharge, and so many of us fail to do so. Blessings, Jan.

Anonymous said...

that was SUCH a great article. i'll be sending it to a few friends who think i need uppers - of course, i think they need downers!

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm an introvert too. that's one of the reasons I need a nap on Sunday afternoon.

altar ego said...

Love the introvert bench! I may just steal it to post over at my place. We are in good company, we intros, but sadly, so misunderstood!