Monday, March 23, 2009

Favorite childhood books?

When I was an older elementary school student, I loved reading and re-reading Homer Price by Robert McCloskey, who also wrote and illustrated such classics as Make Way for Ducklings, Blueberries for Sal, and One Morning in Maine. My children and I loved reading those last three picture books, but they never liked Homer Price. I guess it's outdated, but I still vividly recall the malfunctioning doughnut machine:
What were your favorite books when you were young?

My favorite book of all that I read and re-read innumerable times was Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I was determined to read it in third grade, because a fourth grader in our 3-4 grades combination class told me I wasn't "old enough" to read it! I fell in love with the characters, especially Beth, whom my oldest daughter detested. In fact, AE could never understand why I had liked the book so much. It is dated, too, especially about roles of women, though Louisa May Alcott was ahead of her time in portraying Jo.

When I was reading these books around 1960, there was not the plethora of young people's books being published. (We baby boomers hadn't had all of our children yet!) We did not own too many books and used the public library much more frequently than nowadays.

Did you like any series of books?

I liked the Hardy Boys better than Nancy Drew books, which many of my friends liked. (Daughter MJ enjoyed Nancy Drew much more than I ever did. AE liked the Anne of Green Gables books.) I also liked Cherry Ames nursing stories. I remember being confused when these types of books were not allowed on library shelves!

My cousin Margaret from Canada sent me books as presents and usually they were by Enid Blyton. I especially liked the Famous Five series. My (American) friends never knew about these books, except from me, because they were British books.

So, if you have the time, why don't you blog (or comment here) about the books you liked in your youth?

18 comments:

zorra said...

I enjoyed Cherry Ames, but I really loved the Sue Barton nursing books. I loved all of Alcott's books, and yes, she was ahead of her time, even more so in the later books. Daisy, for example, grows up to be a doctor (in Jo's Boys). I also enjoyed all of the Little House books, and I especially loved Marguerite Henry's horse books.

Terri said...

I read many of the Nancy Drew books, all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder, more biographies than I can count, and of course, Little Women. I read these to my daughter too, (well not Nancy Drew) and I added the CS Lewis Narnia series...

ROBERTA said...

oh boy - love this topic - as a little girl i loved all the Winnie the Pooh series and Betsy Tacy and Tibb series (loved the illustrations); Little Women (even named a daughter Beth) & Little Men - (dreamed of opening a home for boys)....by 4th grade i was into Jane Eyre - favorite....a nun told me it was too old for me which made me want to read it more!

i also loved the nancy drew series and yes the hardy boys were better; loved all sherlock holmes stories and by high school i was into beany malone - i wanted to live with that family! i could go on but i won't!

Diane M. Roth said...

I liked the Betsey Tacy books, Trixie Beldon, Caddie Woodlawn and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

among others...

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I read all the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys series, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Tracy Belden, and anything that received the William Allen White award.

We used the library and were allowed to check out 3 books/week (6 between my sister and I) and only 2 (4 total) could be Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys.

Choralgrrl said...

Right there with you about "Little Women," Jan. I have a copy that was given to my mother by her grandmother; it's one of my most treasured possessions. I've read it at least ten times.

I also loved Beverly Cleary's "Beezus and Ramona" and "Henry Huggins"--that whole series of books.

And I got a set of five Judy Blume books for my tenth birthday and read the covers off them:
--Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret
--Then Again, Maybe I Won't
--Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing
--Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great
--Blubber
I GOT those kids; they were dealing with the same stuff as I was!

Wormwood's Doxy said...

I am the loudest feminist I know, and Little Women is my all-time favorite book. The girls may have all chosen marriage and motherhood--but don't most of us? They were spirited and were not perfect models of obedience and sanctity.

I love the real family values in that book: the importance of caring for those less fortunate than yourself; the need to appreciate what you have rather than always focusing on what others have; the need to control pride and anger; faith that is lived, rather than merely talked about.

Zorra--thanks for reminding me about he Marguerite Henry books!

Cheers,
Doxy

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I loved Little Women and Nancy Drew, but my absolute, absolute favorite book as a girl was Up a Road Slowly by Irene Hunt. My mom gave it to me when I was about ten, and I read it yearly thereafter.

Anonymous said...

willie wonka and the chocolate factory!!! definitely hardy boys over (timid) nancy drew, pippi longstolking, little women.

what a great topic! wonderful memories.

Fran said...

I loved Willy Wonka, anything by Laura Ingalls Wilder, A Wrinkle in Time is a real favorite. I must think of more - my whole world was populated by books as a kid.

Prisca said...

I just found my copy of Harold and the Purple Crayon. I was such an existentialist as a child! Yes to Little Women and Sue Barton RN - although I never wanted to be a nurse. I remember a series called 'My Father's Dragon' that just enchanted me.

Some of the best memories were of walking myself to the library around the block and spending hours there. It was long ago and Mother wouldn't worry about me - the world was a safe place.

Bobbie Giltz McGarey said...

Ah Books. I remembered a Golden Book from my childhood, 1950's, Dr. Goat. I've been looking for it online and apparently it was a favorite of many since it is really expensive. But someone posted the whole writing online and I can now say it without the pictures...
I also love the AA Milne Poetry, Now we are Six, and memorized a lot of the poems.
Ok ok, I liked Nancy Drew, Bobbsie Twins(so so not correct now) and so many others. Clara Barton, Girl Nurse comes to mind as well. Didn't read Jane Austin till older, now carry a copy of all her books on my iphone for quiet waiting time.
But friends...One of my favorite was about Deborah. Really a short book but really good.

1-4 Grace said...

I want the malfunctioning donut machine!

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

i had all the Cherry ames books at one point. I wish I still had them I don't know where they went.

Jan said...

I also liked Trixie Belden. It was fun to read of your memories!

Shalom said...

Oh, too much fun.

Anne of Green Gables, and Emily of New Moon by the same author, are at the top of my list.

Shortly followed by Nancy Drew, Harriet the Spy, The Pistachio Prescription (more of an adolescent one), Betsy, Tacy, and Tibb (I had forgotten all about those!), and a biography of Queen Elizabeth I which I checked out regularly from the school library. Delusions of grandeur, I suppose.

And Beverly Cleary. And certainly Little Women. And there was some series of historical novels about teenage girls in 'famous history moments' (like the Triangle fire and Titanic and WWII, etc) - each book was a girl's name. Not great literature, I'm sure, but they captivated me.

Thanks for a fun memory romp!

Queen Mum said...

Fun. Loved so many mentioned already. Also the Five Little Peppers, All-of-a-Kind Family, The Secret Seven, a fabulous biography series of books in the church library (Dolly Madison, Amelia Earhart, Jane Addams, etc.), Roald Dahl, and the Parent's Magazine Press books that came in the mail for years.....

Bad Alice said...

I have fond memories of Little Women, which my mom gave to me along with The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and Heidi. My mom also read Tom Sawyer to me when I was small and I loved that. She also read The Tell-Tale Heart to me, which was not such a good idea. :)