Last night I found this book among my piles, having bought it way back in August, before various trips. It is exactly the right book for me to read at this time! It fits in so many ways--for my marriage and my life.
Today I am going to church and then will walk in the CROP Walk. Other than that, I am reading this book, so I will not be visiting blogs.
Here is a story of the desert fathers from the book:
". . . the early Christian monks staked their survival on their willingness to be as God had made them, creatures of the day-to-day. They regarded repetition as essential to their salvation, and valued perseverance in prayer and manual labor as the core of their spiritual discipline. . . .
"'Abba Moses asked Abba Sylvanus, "Can a man lay a new foundation every day?" The old man said, "If he works hard, he can lay a new foundation at every moment."'" (86)

6 comments:
I am very interested in what you think of this book. I haven't read it yet, but love Kathleen Norris.
I'm reading this, almost finished.
I can't say enough good about this book. Like you said, sometimes books come around at just the right time and this certainly has for me. Acedia has been a more than occasional companion since I moved back to SD from DC, although I didn't recognize it until I read this book. That has been the gem from this--having a name for what I would have just called ennui.
I would love to engage in a discussion about this book! Hope it is useful for you.
I hope you enjoyed your day. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the book.
I have not read much of Kathleen Norris, so I am looking forward to reading your impressions.
Cloister Walk and Dakota are favorite books of mine...ones that I keep cause I will read them again. Interested to know what you think of this one...I haven't gotten around to obtaining it yet. I love the way Kathleen Norris writes!
It sounds like a book I would like to read Jan. I'll look for it, or others by Ms. Norris in our Church library this Sunday. Alas, my desire to buy is always bigger than my book budget! LOL.
Post a Comment