Thursday, November 6, 2008

Advent Conspiracy

Advent Conspiracy

Catherine of Come to the Table blog invited me to join the "Advent Conspiracy" on Facebook, which caused me to look up the above site. These are the stated positions:

1. We should worship Christ more meaningfully.
2. We should refuse our culture's hunger for consumerism.
3. We should give relationally to our friends and family.
4.
We should love all by giving to those most in need.

This sounds like that book about unplugging the Christmas tree (or Christmas machine!)--for less consumption and more relationships. A few years ago I read Bill McKibben's book, Hundred Dollar Holiday. All this reading seems to indicate that I read more than putting what I've read into action.

It's good to get these thoughts into consciousness at this time of year, weeks before Advent and Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Billie Greenwood said...

Jan, the Christmas decorations went up this week in my neighborhood. Advent went out the window. Not to mention Thanksgiving. I'm all for unplugging the Christmas machine.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Each year, I try to make Advent a special time, and each year it's a struggle. Thank you for this reminder.

ROBERTA said...

thanks jan....i loved their video. very clever, especially "give presence".....excellent....

Jennifer said...

Off to get the book.
Thanks!