"(Lincoln appointed a New York senator, William Seward, as his secretary of state. He promptly bought Alaska, known as “Seward’s Folly,” which ended up bringing us the folly of Sarah Palin)."
Maureen Dowd--column here. (The column is more about Hillary than Sarah.)
And a friend emailed me the "most emailed" link (as of this moment) at The New York Times, which is by Dick Cavett--"The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla." Here are a few of his gems:
"I suppose it will be recorded as among political history’s ironies that Palin was brought in to help John McCain. I can’t blame feminists* who might draw amusement from the fact that a woman managed to both cripple the male she was supposed to help while gleaning an almost Elvis-sized following for herself. Mac loses, Sarah wins big-time was the gist of headlines.
"I feel a little sorry for John. He aimed low and missed."
"A woman in one of Palin’s crowds praised her for being “a mom like me … who thinks the way I do” and added, for ill measure, “That’s what I want in the White House.” Fine, but in what capacity?"
A column by someone I avoid (but didn't today), Bill O'Reilly condemns all the continued criticism of Sarah Palin, but I find these other columnists hitting my funny bone, while also pointing to the truth. Palin is striving to become a GOP power force.
*And I do not think feminists view Sarah Palin with amusement. I look at her in disbelief, disgust, and antipathy.
7 comments:
"He aimed low and missed" *snorts* That's a good one!
The reason that Palin still gets hammered is that she presents herself to all media to keep herself before the good folk who loved her during the campaign. Bill forgot to mention that. If she would go away, then all the criticism would also.
Holy cats, Jan--I read the Cavett & Dowd articles this morning and almost wrote an identical post to this one! Thanks for doing it! :-)
I actually like Sarah Palin -- her intuition with other people, her grit, her chutzpah. But I think it's time for her to stop relying on those things and go back to the drawing board to learn something of substance before she presents herself to the American people again.
Watching the Obamas on 60 Minutes last night, I felt such relief that the man we have elected and his wife are such sober, thoughtful, knowledgeable, curious, and restrained people. The contrast to Gov. Palin was striking.
I was talking (well, in this country I'm mostly learning) politics and how the country views potential leaders. The idea of the new leader being someone "just like me" often comes up in t places like the candidates having a beer in a pub with the locals. Yes, we want the leader to be able to relate to the average Joe but I personally hope that the leader of any country be smarter than me/the average person. There's too many important decisions to be made! When I hire a lawyer I hope he/she has more knowledge on a topic than I do or I'd do it myself.
The Cavett piece is amazing, isn't it?
Thanks for this Jan. It hit the spot. Sarah is the political joke that keeps on giving. The "aimed low and missed" was hysterical. Keep it coming!
Post a Comment