Saturday, October 6, 2007

Books Meme!

Moonmaid tagged Gartenfische who passed on the book meme to me. I love, love, love books, so this will be fun! Moonmaid has a lovely accolade about books at the beginning of her meme, in case you'd like to read it.

Total number of books? LibraryThing counts 1467, but I know I have more that have not been listed there. So I'll be like Gartenfische and say up to 2,000!

Last book read? The Five Stages of the Soul: Charting the Spiritual Passages that Shape Our Lives by Harry R. Moody, which I wrote about in this post October is here!

Last book bought? Taking Our Places: The Buddhist Path to Truly Growing Up by Norman Fischer and Pillars of Flame: Power, Priesthood, and Spiritual Maturity by Maggie Ross.

Five meaningful books? This is too hard to choose, but the landmarks in my spiritual life that I can remember right now are:

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, which brought me into the world of ecumenical thought about Christianity as I didn't know where to look or what to read. And that is described in Faith Story 6.

Gratefulness is the Heart of Prayer by David Steindl-Rast, who also has the website Gratefulness.org.

Clinging by Emilie Griffin.

Up from Eden by Ken Wilber.

View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos by Joel R. Primack and Nancy Ellen Abrams, which I wrote about in my post Good Links to the Universe.

I love the books of Thomas Merton, Frederich Buechner, Dorothe Soelle, Jacques Ellul, Walter Wink, and on and on. I am just starting to read Ken Wilber's books. Plus, you all may remember I love the Harry Potter books!

How about favorite children's books? There are too many of these, too! But I'll try to remember from my own childhood and not my kids'.

I loved the Hardy Boys series, Little Women (even though AE has pointed out how sexist it is), Cherry Ames series, and the Adventure series by Enid Blyton.

And I'll add--What about favorite cookbooks? First two that my mother gave me: New Casserole Cookery by Marian Tracy and The Wellesley Cookie Exchange Cookbook by Susan Mahnke Peery. And Whole Food for the Whole Family compiled by La Leche League, Delicioso! compiled by the Junior League of Corpus Christi, and Jane Brody's Good Food Book, as well as her Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet.

Now I'll ask these friends to share about their books: Katherine E., Mompriest, Suzy, Jiff, and my daughter AE.


9 comments:

Anne said...

i don't just hate Little Women because it's sexist, I hate it because it's a badly written story about a bunch of whiny girls who can only wait to fall in love, your favorite character of which is a weakly developed character with a non-existent spine who ends up dying in bed as a teenager. now that was a great read.

Diane M. Roth said...

well...just wanted to say, I liked Jo, in Little Women.

I liked your list. I don't know how many books I have. can only guess.

Suzy said...

I loved Little Women, and for the time it was written it was quite daring. You might want to read the novel March by Geraldine Brooks, a fictionalized account of Mr. March's wartime experiences.

Whole Foods for the Whole Family is one of my favorite cookbooks too! I've used it for the last 18 years.

Anne said...

i imagine it was a daring book for the time, but still couldn't stand it. some books just rub me the wrong way... Anna Karenina, The Sound and the Fury, Anthem, Great Expectations, Little Women, Rabbit, Run... i know other people call them great works of literature and all that, but I just can't stand them, but that's just me

Suzy said...

Infinity Squared -- I know what you mean. My true confession is that I really can't stand the Harry Potter books. Sacrilege, I know. I just think that J.K. Rowling used too much of other people's material, she doesn't write that well, and the world made her a multimillionaire and treats her like she was the savior of children's literature, thank you very much. Yeah, I'm a Harry Potter sourpuss.

Jan said...

As I told Suzy at her blog, maybe the reason I first liked "Little Women" so much was that a fourth grader, when I was a third grader in a 3-4 combination classroom, told me I wasn't old enough to read it! I still vividly remember that moment, and those were fighting words--plus, in retrospect, I realize that I was such a good reader that I was probably better at reading than she was. (And at the end of 3rd grade, I skipped 4th and moved on to 5th grade--so maybe reading "Little Women" pointed to my reading prowess.)

Diane M. Roth said...

The reason I liked Little Women was quite simple: it was the first "big book" I read, so it felt like an accomplishment. and I sympathized with Jo wanting to be a writer.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Some things on here I'm going to have to check out (literally!).

Thanks for playing!

-gartenfische

Fran said...

This was great to read- I just did mine too.

You have some great things here Jan and I love your cookbook additions.

I added children's books!