The heat radiation from the Big Bang was discovered in 1965, but it could probably have been detected almost 20 years earlier when the technology needed for detecting it was invented during WW II. But no one looked! No details of the cosmic background radiation could be seen until 1992 and only sharp detail across the whole sky was detected in 2003.
And here are some "facts" that are mind-boggling (as connected to us on earth):
Number of superclusters within 1 billion light years = 100
Number of galaxy groups within 1 billion light years = 240,000
Number of large galaxies within 1 billion light years = 3 million
Number of dwarf galaxies within 1 billion light years= 60 million
Number of stars within 1 billion light years = 250,000 trillion
If you are interested in more info, read the book listed above and look at/investigate the links I'll list below:
Sloan Digital Survey/ Sky Server
This website presents data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, a project to make a map of a large part of the universe.
The Atlas of the Universe
Univ. Of Oregon Astronomy: Galaxies and the Expanding Universe
The View from the Center of the Universe
Links to online resources showing videos of the universe.
4 comments:
This looks really interesting,I have a friend who loves this stuff and goes to every conference she can realted to this information. By the way, I finally posted again!
Birdele, I bet your friends knows a lot more than I do! I've only gotten interested since I went to that OST Conference on Cosmology (see my labels) with Brian Swimme speaking.
I'm so glad you let me know that you posted again!
You're brave, putting "evolution" in the title of your course!
I love the way you learn and love new ideas.
I absolutely love this, Jan. I'm going to email you about this...
Post a Comment