Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Virgin of Vladimir


The Virgin of Vladimir


When I first saw the Virgin of Vladimir icon at a regional Shalem retreat, I was mysteriously drawn to her. I kept being pulled to sit in front of her. I was captured by the pain and love for the world seen in her eyes. She was prayed into being at the beginning of the 12th century in Russia.


Icons Explained writes this:


Treasure of Russia, the miraculous icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir is among the best known in the Western World. It's one of the oldest icons of the type Eleousa (Virgin of Tenderness, Tender Mercy, Merciful Love, LovingKindness). The icon can be recognized by the arm of the Child around the neck of the mother. The face of the Virgin that is looking towards us is full of warmth and human comprehension, but also with deep sadness.


The icon of the Virgin of Vladimir is known in Russia since 1131 when she was taken from Constantinople to Kiev. In 1155, prince Andrei Bogolioubski took off to the North to found a new capital. That was Vladimir. He took with him the icon from Kiev. He was captivated by its splendor. It was in that period that the icon started to work miracles and attracted large numbers of faithful. In 1395, the icon was transported to Moscow. Up to three times when threatened by an invasion from the East, Moscow was saved by a miraculous intervention involving the icon.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wacky.

Fran said...

I love this too. I have a rather extensive collection of icons, religious art, objects etc.

A few "really good" pieces, but mostly general stuff. I just love it.

My Virgin of Vladamir was given to me by a friend in 1992, when I moved into a new apartment. I had had to move out of the apartment I grew up in(had gone back to take care of my mom) and just stayed for awhile. Moving out of there was so emotional for me.

So anyway, this kind man, who was studying at a local Russian Orthodox Seminary, gave me her image as a gift.

I have treasured it since then and am so sorry I lost touch with the giver.

Thanks for this story- I did not know so much about her!

Anonymous said...

I have a photo of this one in a frame. It is so beautiful.

I love icons.

Thank you for sharing this.