So I am going to copy the post I put there this morning here:
I am still wondering about diet and RA, while being flummoxed by various sites, books, and advertisements. Who to believe? Today I went to Rheumatoid Arthritis Warrior's site, where she addresses "Rheumatoid Arthritis Diet: 3 Key Questions.""She writes in this post:
As I wrote recently, there is no Rheumatoid Arthritis cure. That includes diet. But that is only the beginning of the discussion of RA and diet. We still want to know 3 things**:
- Can I eat something to make my Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms worse?
- Can I eat anything to make my Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms better?
- Despite both of those answers, are there foods or supplements which can fight the effects of the disease?"
Going along with these questions is tomorrow's appointment with a naturopath. (Consulting him does not mean I will stop seeing my rheumatologist.) Surprisingly, both my husband and I are having individual appointments. Although Chuck is a PhD. chemist, he has been influenced by an elderly friend whose RA was improved with diet, as described in this fluffy and not-too-scientific book How to Eat Away Arthritis by Lauri M. Aesoph, ND. (I liked The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book by Jessica K. Black, ND much better.)
A healthier diet will improve both Chuck's and my health. He has painful knees due to osteoarthritis and we are both overweight. So there is a lot to learn; at least we are looking and asking!
3 comments:
No doubt its a good idea to work on this from a number of points of view. I'm sure that diet can help and it certainly can't hurt! Blessings Jan.
Jan: these are only my own personal opinions based on my own experience so take what you want or discard !! My RA consultant says there is no evidence based research findings to suggest or endorse any particular dietary modifications aid the progression of RA.
As a scientist myself I would agree with that BUT .... I do know that during the early years of my RA red wine and the following foods probably did exacerbate puffiness in my hands and pains in my joints : red wine,sausages,red meat products more than 3 times a week cheese and dairy products,pastry based products.
Incidentally by cutting these down and thereby losing weight does benefit RA in the long term for obvious reasons and I now only drink red/white wine occasionally and when I do I usually end up with bloating and indigestion but this is due to the long term effects of anti-inflammatories and painkillers I suppose. I know that the complementary /alternative medicine approach is one that many people try and if it helps then fine but to me it is often an expensive route and one that you can work out yourself from general dietary guideines for health that apply to many health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes etc in addition to RA.
Good luck !!
Oh I almost forgot but this is important !! Although not dietary if you smoke giving it up /getting help with this will make a huge impact and improvement over time.
I smoked and had several attempts before I finally kicked it and it definitely helped.
Blessings
Post a Comment