Monday, June 27, 2011

May Sarton

May Sarton
1912-1995

Recently I read two books by May Sarton: The Magnificent Spinster and The Education of Harriet Hatfield. Although I knew the author's name, I had never read any of her books before. I first read The Magnificent Spinster, which is about a woman's life from childhood to her death as written by a former student. This was a woman who remained single all her life, but who had a zest for living that inspired and nurtured many around her. It is what I assume a "novel of manners" is like. It is a good story, without excitement and intrigue.

I coincidentally found The Education of Harriet Hatfield at Half-Price Books. It struck me because it was about a 60 year old woman (which is my age) who opens a bookstore for women after her partner of 30 years died. It is the story of her "growing up." There is more drama in this story than the first one.

Both books give positive attention to lesbian partnerships, which got me interested in finding out more about May Sarton, especially since she was born in 1912. She lived with a partner for 13 years and evidently wrote about their relationship in Honey in the Hive, which I have not yet read.

The Unitarian Universalist Association has an interesting article about her:

"Mrs. Stevens Hears the Mermaids Singing, 1965, is often referred to as Sarton's "coming out" novel and one she admits she could not have written while her parents were alive. With its reissue in 1974, to which Carolyn Heilbrun contributed an important introduction, Sarton's work gained academic recognition, especially by feminist critics. Subsequently her work began to be studied in literature classes and college women's studies programs. Although she appreciated the recognition, Sarton believed that the label "lesbian writer" might limit and distort perception of her work. She wanted to be read as a writer who dealt with themes of universal interest. She had, in fact, already written novels about family and married life. "

What an interesting woman. I am sure libraries have many of her books, as she started writing in the 1930's.

4 comments:

Jaliya said...

Jan -- pick up May Sarton's *Journal of a Solitude*. I've had my copy since about 1987 -- it's practically torn to shreds, I've delved into it so many times. A favourite passage:

"... there is a proper balance between not asking enough of oneself and asking or expecting too much. ... Not easy to find the balance, for if one does not have wild dreams of achievement, there is no spur even to get the dishes washed. One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being."

On the great Flemish painters (Rembrandt, Vermeer, Culp):

"They compose the world without ever imposing a rigid schema upon it and make us see even the domestic scene at its most banal with a sudden sense of revelation, with poignant recognition. The painters look at reality with devotion, and what we see is life never sentimentalized, but enhanced."

"Maybe patience is the last thing we learn. I remember Jean Dominique, old and blind, saying to me, 'On attend toujours.' I was under thirty then and she was over sixty and I was amazed to think that someone so old could still wait for someone so intensely. But now I know that one does so all one's life."

May Sarton was also a marvelous poet ... I could go on quoting her all night ... Jan, you've found a treasure! I think you'll find a deeply kindred spirit in May ...

Jan said...

Jaliya, I am so excited by your comment! Your love for May's writing will spur me on to find more of her writing, especially her poetry. Thank you for taking the time to share!

Jaliya said...

You're welcome, Jan :-)

My very best friend in the world introduced me to May's writings back in 1984 ... Here's another beloved passage, from her poem 'The Invocation to Kali':

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers.

Nancy said...

These books sound fascinating. Just in time for summer reading. Too bad I don't have them right now--it's pouring rain outside.