It was only about five years ago that I had an "aha" moment about habits. Somehow I had always associated the word "habits" with BAD, as in bad habits. Until someone told me that there are good habits, too, I never acknowledged those beneficial actions I regularly did as "habits." Suddenly my eyes (and brain) were opened to a much wider field of actions as movements we engage in. All are choices, not necessarily reactions that move us along, which is really what a bad habit is.
I remember hearing that a habit is formed in three weeks of practicing it. I am not sure of the time table, but know that awareness paired with intentionality is necessary. . . .and patience!

Kat Elton in her book A Resilient Life: Learning to Thrive, not just survive, with rheumatoid arthritis has some good advice about creating good habits:
"Having intentions that you hold close is like planting seeds. Creating your seeds involves letting go of your ego and beginning to reach deeper inside. Paying attention to them every day will allow them to grow. Shouting loudly at them won't make them sprout any faster. You nurture your seeds of intention every day through belief, positive action, and detachment, or letting go of the outcome. As the Buddha said, 'The secret of health for both the mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present wisely and earnestly.'"
Elton, Kat. A Resilient Life: Learning to Thrive, not just survive, with rheumatoid arthritis. www.KatElton.com, 2010. (324)
I remember hearing that a habit is formed in three weeks of practicing it. I am not sure of the time table, but know that awareness paired with intentionality is necessary. . . .and patience!

Kat Elton in her book A Resilient Life: Learning to Thrive, not just survive, with rheumatoid arthritis has some good advice about creating good habits:
"Having intentions that you hold close is like planting seeds. Creating your seeds involves letting go of your ego and beginning to reach deeper inside. Paying attention to them every day will allow them to grow. Shouting loudly at them won't make them sprout any faster. You nurture your seeds of intention every day through belief, positive action, and detachment, or letting go of the outcome. As the Buddha said, 'The secret of health for both the mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, not to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present wisely and earnestly.'"
Elton, Kat. A Resilient Life: Learning to Thrive, not just survive, with rheumatoid arthritis. www.KatElton.com, 2010. (324)
No comments:
Post a Comment