Monday, June 20, 2011

Letter Writing MEME


I do not write letters like I used to, but all my life I loved writing letters to friends and family. I remember growing up on military bases and seeing my father type a letter to his mother every week. Without easy access to long-distance telephone calls and no concept of internet communication, the only way to communicate for the first 25-35 years of my life was through mailed letters. Through the years, my writing has degenerated to notes I write, except lately when my hands hurt too much from RA.

I was thrilled to find someone who likes letter-writing through RevGalBlogPals: Susan at Fruitful Words. In 2009, she even did a series of posts about letter-writing. In one of these, she had a letter-writing MEME. (Remember when we were all doing meme's back then?) So I decided to do that here!

Answer in the comment section, please, or take these questions and answer them on your blog. Be sure to link back here so I can read your answers.

Tag 4 people and then write one of them a real letter! Let’s inundate the postal service with some “love” mail. Be sure to tell who you sent your letter to and why.

  • What was the last letter you wrote? To whom? The occasion? Was it a letter or more of a note?
The last note I wrote was to my two daughters who live in Seattle. (This won't be a surprise for them now!)
  • Do you prefer writing with a pen/pencil or with a mechanical device like a Blackberry or computer?
For long letters, I prefer to use Word on the computer. When my hands are not hurting, I like to use a pen on stationery/notecards.
  • Do you prefer receiving handwritten letters/notes over email? Or makes no difference, it’s all communication.
It is so rare to receive a handwritten letter that it seems almost silly to say I prefer those. Still, an actual personal note via email is nice.
  • Do you save your hand-written letters? Why or why not? Describe a special letter that you’ll never toss.
I save hand-written letters from my children and from special friends. I am glad that I saved a few written by my mother: someone's handwriting brings forth their presence, even after their death.
  • What kind of paper do you typically use? Envelope? Stamp? Embellishments?
I like notecards and love to find special cards to send people. I find really good ones on my visits to WA state every summer; there are much better cards sold there than I can find in south TX.

I like to buy pretty stamps, which I often learn about at Letter Writers Alliance.
  • What is the most unusual letter you’ve ever sent? Received?
Probably on puzzle pieces.
  • What was the last handwritten letter you received? From whom? The occasion? How did it make you feel?
I got a long handwritten letter from a 94-year-old woman who used to attend the Wisdom Class (weekly book study) at our church, but has moved to Houston. I know it is an effort for her to write, and I loved hearing about her life and thoughts. Plus, a handwritten note or letter makes me feel like someone cares enough about me to take the time to write!
  • Tag 4 people and then write one of them a real letter! Let’s inundate the postal service with some “love”mail. Be sure to tell who you sent your letter to and why.
  • (I think I will be sending out left-over postcards from my trip to Spain, because my hands were hurting too much back in May to write all the ones I'd bought there!)
Thank you, Susan, for this!!

2 comments:

Susan@FruitfulWords said...

Thanks for having my meme on your blog. I finally answered the questions and I didn't look to see how I answered it several years ago until after I hit publish. I am boring as the answers were basically the same.

It was fun reading your answers and I felt I got to know you better, Jan. I am sorry your hands make it too painful to write. :(

I like to find special cards too. The Hallmark store in town and even our grocery stores have some awesome cards. Since I am quite boring in the stamp department I will check out the stamps on the Letter Writers Alliance.

Susan@FruitfulWords said...

Thanks for having my meme on your blog. I finally answered the questions and I didn't look to see how I answered it several years ago until after I hit publish. I am boring as the answers were basically the same.

It was fun reading your answers and I felt I got to know you better, Jan. I am sorry your hands make it too painful to write. :(

I like to find special cards too. The Hallmark store in town and even our grocery stores have some awesome cards. Since I am quite boring in the stamp department I will check out the stamps on the Letter Writers Alliance.