Breaking of a Palm Leaf for the Entry into Jerusalem1304-1306 in Scrovegni Chapel in Padua, Italy
By Giotto (1267-1337)
During Lent, I've been surprised by the reflections I received in our weekly Lectio Divina group, which always meditates upon scripture from the next Sunday's lectionary. As I visualized "following" Jesus, I keep getting the thoughts like: "Who are you really? What do I know about you? Maybe I'll go back home."
This past Wednesday, we prayed with Mark 11:7-9:
11:7 Then they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks on it; and he sat on it.
11:8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, and others spread leafy branches that they had cut in the fields.
11:9 Then those who went ahead and those who followed were shouting, "Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
With this meditation, I found myself doubting myself seriously--Could I follow all the way to the cross? This caused me to realize that in all these other Lectio sessions, I thought I was questioning who Jesus was, but in reality, I was wondering if I was courageous enough to go with him, since the ending of his story are ingrained within me.
But in each reading, that is not part of the story yet! I believe that Jesus was not obsessing on the inevitable fate of prophets, but was living in union with the Father in each moment as it came.
The enouraging message I was given in prayer is that the moment is possible--each moment is here with the possibility of life and love given. When I look to the past or the future in fear or even anticipation, I am losing this present gift and am not even "living" right now.
This is not a new lesson or a profound truth that will be new to anyone else--it's a renewal of my awareness. It is too easy to be in the fear the future, even though I know the eventual outcome of resurrection. I fear the agony of the intervening crucifixion! It takes one step at a time; one step is always possible, no matter how tiny.
So my invitation is to travel with Jesus one step at a time.
Diane offers a deeper reflection in her sermon for today: "Which Procession are you in?"
That's another good question to ask!
6 comments:
Good questions and I always believe that the faith journey is more about the questions than the answers...
Happy and blessed Palm Sunday.
Oh Jan, such a lovely reflection. Your questions are so timely for me. I am working on pessimism which is really worrying about the future. My husband has offered some good advice, think of the things you CAN do if the inevitable bad thing does occur. This lent has been one of my best. Blessings for Holy Week!
Oh, Jan this is really beautiful. Thank you for this reminder not to look too far ahead.
And thank you for your comment today. I truly haven't made a decision. If I can keep the blog without hurting this new emphasis on fiction, I will.
one step at a time -- so true.
amen jan!
Since beginning this new ministry position, one of my methods of self-care and retaining my sanity, is to stay in the moment. My covenant/contract stipulates that my week is 30 hours. If I am to keep that covenant, I must learn to be present so as not to cheat my family of our precious time together.
Thank you, Jan for renewing and affirming my awareness.
Post a Comment