Today in EFM, a member read an essay by Jim Haynes from NPR's "This I Believe".
Every week for the past 30 years, Jim Haynes, 75, has hosted a dinner party in his home in Paris. Anyone who calls or e-mails to attend – even total strangers – is welcome. He has huge crowds who come on Sunday nights. And there has even been a cookbook published about the meals over the years: Throw a Great Party: Inspired by evenings in Paris with Jim Haynes.
This is how he ends his essay:
"Tolerance can lead to respect and, finally, to love. No one can ever really understand anyone else, but you can love them or at least accept them. Like Tom Paine, I am a world citizen. All human history is mine. My roots cover the earth. I believe we should know each other. After all, our lives are all connected. OK, now come and dine!"
Since I am basically a shy person, such consistently large dinners sound daunting to me. I wish I could be that open about talking to total strangers, though perhaps there is freedom in being with new people who want to get to know each other.
1 comment:
Even an introvert can learn to be extroverted in situations...but the price one pays for this is a greater urge to return to deep silence in order to renew and restore....
NPR has an entire series on This I Believe, which I learned about from Grace-thing when she was posting regularly....I got my parish in Chicago to do it - a group of us wrote essays, which were published in the Newsletter, on "This I Believe"....first we started with some conversation...and there is some material availbable on how to do this....then after a few sessions of talking and sharing we each wrote ours, shared them with one another, and then published them one at a time over a year....it was a cool project! Thanks for reminding me of it...
Post a Comment