"Many Christians conceive of spiritual truth as something that is directly experienced only when you die and are (hopefully) lifted into heaven. But Christ himself said the kingdom of heaven is within you. Not elsewhere, in the sky. Not later, when you die. And not just maybe, if you've behaved and/or believed: it is within you. This inner, ever-present heaven is actually more consistent with the inner space of nirvana or moksha -- liberation -- that Buddhists and Vedantists describe than it is with what a lot of people take away from Sunday school.
"The problem is not confined to Christians. A friend who has traveled throughout India and practiced Eastern spirituality for years recently told me, "After all my experiences with saints and holy men of all kinds, I no longer try to believe in God. It's too much work." Well, yes. Trying to believe in anything is too much work. Belief is constructed out of thoughts. Your thoughts about God are not God; your thoughts about enlightenment are not enlightenment; your thoughts about the infinite are not infinite. They're just thoughts."
Go here to read the rest of the article. It's worth taking the time to read, and it's not long.
Also at this website is something I'd never seen before--Top Posts/Blogger Index. It might be interesting to check out every so often.
2 comments:
Thanks for this, Jan. What a relief to read this --> very affirming. Once upon a time, I asked a young deacon at my church if she really *did* believe in God. She paused a moment, then said quietly, forcefully: "I feel Him in my bones."
She didn't yay or nay my question about belief. It would seem that belief can become a moot point if you feel that Presence in your bones ...
I can't say that I believe in a particular god/God/Goddess. I'm such a head case ... I can think myself into knots ... but the Presence ... that's something else entirely :-)
Bless you xo
Thanks for this link! I'm really happy to know this was on Huffington Post. The world will be a different place when everyone feels God within themselves.
Post a Comment