Saturday, April 18, 2009

Age

Yesterday was my third child BJ's birthday. He is now 24.

My oldest son DC will be 30 this summer, and my youngest child MJ will be 20 in November. (So as not to leave out a child, AE is 27.)

I remember when I was 24, my husband and I moved from VA to OR so that CB could go to graduate school at Oregon State University in Corvallis. We lived in married student housing, and I taught 2nd and 2nd-3rd grades in Eddyville, where the entire school had 250 kids for grades K-12. It was a happy time. And now BJ is that same age.

Then I wonder if I'll even be alive in 24 years. Neither of my parents lived to be 80 years old. Will I? In 24 years I would/could be almost 82.

I'm not really worried about dying. It just seems closer as I edge nearer to the age of 60. Maybe I am also more aware of it as I stopped dyeing my hair (last year) and it is going whiter. (See in the Easter pictures.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've also been reading Autumn Gospel: Women in the Second Half of Life by Kathleen Fischer. I had been averse to reading it, probably due to its title, until a friend called me up and read some quotes from it. Then I had to get the book!

Here is how I so often feel these days:

"The novelist Isabel Allende explains this shift after turning fifty: 'I don't have any time to waste. I don't have time for gossip or greed or revenge or undirected anger.' She says she is concentrating on the basics, which have to do with love." (32)

5 comments:

Jaliya said...

Jan, I can't believe the synchronicity of your post! I have been thinking such similar thoughts ... Just yesterday, it hit me -- BAM -- that in 15 years, I will be 65 YEARS OLD. (I turned 50 about two weeks ago.) It was a sledgehammer-awareness ... the first time I *got it* that there's more life behind me than ahead of me now ...

Isabel Allende's words crystalize a conversation I had just yesterday with a friend about not having time to waste on what we called "snarking" ...

Wow ...

Bless you and your family, and Happy Birthday all 'round! :-)

Song in my Heart said...

I don't have the perspective of as many decades, but still the idea of the basics having to do with love is one that I like.

Thanks for posting this.

Barbara B. said...

I like the quote at the end -- so true!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I think this sense of being in the second half must be why I'm re-evaluating everything and shifting priorities and giving up "shoulds" and trying to rejuvenate the artistic pieces I abandoned with such disregard in my younger years.

Thank you for posting this. It helps put things in perspective.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I agree with Allende - after 50 I've found so many things don't annoy me anymore - they just don't matter - I'm ok you're ok!