Monday, April 6, 2009

Gratefulness

Talking to a friend today, I remember the ABC's of gratitude as espoused by an Al Anon group I used to belong to. I guess I think of the word "gratefulness" from my love for David Steindl-Rast's book Gratefulness: The Heart of Prayer.

I remember using the ABC's of gratitude when I used to get depressed. So before we get too far into Holy Week, I decided to try that here. Try it yourself, either on your blog or privately.

A--apples
B--books
C--children
D--dogs
E--ears
F--family
G--God
H--holidays
I--ice
J--justice
K--kisses
L--Licorice (our deceased Lab)
M--marzipan
N--notes
O--oatmeal (with peanut butter and raisins!)
P--pansies
Q--quiet
R--rain
S--sleep
T--tea
U--us
V--visits
W--Washington (state)
X--xxx's (any ideas?)
Z--Zambia

It used to be easy if I used my children, family, and friend's names, but for privacy, I did not want to do that.

And the list could be just for those people mentioned above, for animals, for food, for countries or cities--lots of things!

5 comments:

Terri said...

Oh yes...good idea...I may do this!

Barbara B. said...

that's a good exercise!

Lindy said...

I should do this every morning. Nice practice.

Listen, it just occurred to me that you might know Paula Harrision. Not that I agree with any of her theology.... just to be clear on that. But, her daughter is my best friend.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Thank you for this too. I've been struggling with insomnia lately. (The Artist's Way stuff I'm doing is stirring up some very old issues.) I was trying to pray thanksgivings as I lay awake, but my thoughts would drift. I think this structure might help.

ROBERTA said...

thanks jan, as i continue to deal with this cold bug, i am not able to be at church for the good friday service & i've been feeling sorry for myself - this is a great exercise for me to do today.