Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter 1955

Thinking of the little boys and little girls all dressed up at church this morning, I am remembering how I always had a new dress for Easter, plus an Easter hat. Even though I always had the Easter ensemble, we rarely went to church on Easter or any other Sunday. White gloves were an essential element.

Here I am at the age of 4 1/2, wearing a dress my grandmother made for me, which I remember because my favorite doll Sue was given the same dress by my grandmother. They were both pink.

This was at the front door of the little house that was behind my grandparents' larger house in Lynden, WA. My father, who was a Marine, was stationed in Japan, so my mother and I were living in a house that her father had built before he'd built the larger one.

11 comments:

Magdalene6127 said...

Very sweet.

Happy Easter Jan!

enigma4ever said...

very very cute...so sweet..and so sweet that you remember it all...

;-)

Lori said...

Adorable!!!

You kept the same smile! That's hard to do.

I'm Still Me said...

I like this picture. Thanks for sharing!

Song in my Heart said...

Happy Easter, Jan. That is a very sweet picture.

Diane M. Roth said...

one of the first pictures I ever saw! you put it on your blog long ago.

Terri said...

Love this picture...and that you and your doll had matching dresses made by your grandmother!

Sherry said...

Jan, my experience exactly. We never went to church, but we always dressed in new Easter clothes and had a big dinner and all the other various Easter bunny things. Now, I don't cook, I go to church, and we don't bother dressing up all that much! lol...

Lauralew said...

There is a great picture of me dressed really similar to you taken in 1960 when we lived in Lufkin, TX. I need to scan it when I'm home next week--the look on my face is not happy, but rebellious. Interesting how I ended up in a liturgical church anyway.

My mom probably went to church at most twice after that. She asked me in the 1990's if I didn't want to wear gloves to church as she had some I could wear. I had to tell her that things were different at that point :/.

Thanks for the memories!

Jaliya said...

Cutie pie you! :-)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a precious photo.