Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Richard Rohr and the Enneagram


I am very excited that I am going to this Richard Rohr conference over New Year's Eve in Albuquerque, NM! I am also amazed, because dear husband CB is going with me, even though he does NOT want to attend any of the meetings. And I only learned this today, because one of his fellow choir members told me that CB was talking about me wanting to go, which was news to me. I'd talked to CB about it this weekend, but he was discouraging about the expense of air fares and did not want to talk about it. With the "percolating" time, he decided to gift me with this!

It will be good to hear Richard Rohr speak and also learn more about the enneagram. I have haphazardly looked into it, but have varied between different numbers. . . .Duh!

This is what the website says about the conference:

"When we learn things deeply it is usually because we can see a pattern within ourselves, and then we cannot deny the truth in general. The enneagram is a patterning tool that moves people rather quickly beyond black and white thinking, beyond mere psychological theories, to see, instead, through the lens of human personality. This is why we find ever more knowing flowing from the Enneagram--and non-dual knowing, at that.

"Russ Hudson and Richard Rohr will lead you on a journey of laughing and weeping at yourself and the world. They will help you uncover some of the ever more fruitfulness of this marvelous spiritual tool!

"The weekend will offer lectures, practices and affinity groupings, all in a context of transformation for our selves, compassion for our companions, and prayer for the world."

It sounds like an enervating way to start the New Year!

13 comments:

Anne said...

you should gift him back and upgrade your seats to first class.

ROBERTA said...

i'm so jealous! you will have such a great time....:)

roberta (an 8 on the E.)

Jan said...

That would be a good idea IF we were flying--we're driving!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've read books and done online quizzes, and I can never seem to fit anywhere on the enneagram. I find it an intensely frustrating construct . . . but I know several people who love it and find it very meaningful, so I'm assuming you'll have a wonderful learning time. (I'm guessing it's better if you learn about it from Rohr himself.) Anyway, my difficulties with it are neither here nor there. I'm excited for you that you can go to this conference with your husband. What a great way to start the New Year.

Jan said...

Ruth, I am so like you--I can never figure out which number, as I seem to fit in so many. But being with my husband AND hearing Richard Rohr may open up lots of things to me.

Lauralew said...

Great opportunity! And what a wonderful time to share with your husband.

I've never taken the quiz--guess I should do that, eh?

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

What a fabulous opportunity. Wish it fit into my life to do that right now. There are SO MANY good conferences/retreats being offered...quite tempting.

Jennifer said...

Very, very nice!

Fran said...

That is great!! I am so so jealous, but I cannot go. It would be wonderful to be there as a longtime student of the Enneagram. I first learned it from tapes and the early book by Rohr.

And Albuquerque- a place I truly love.

But forget all that - YOU will be there.

I know you will have a great time.

Ellie Finlay said...

Oh, wow! I would LOVE to go to this!

Like FranIam, I first learned about the Enneagram through Richard Rohr tapes. And I'm a great admirer of his regarding many issues.

To Ruth: I don't think quizzes about the Enneagram are a very good idea. As I remember from those early tapes, it really needs to be learned through oral transmission and you decide for yourself what your number is.

Wonderful. Wonderful.

Ellie Finlay said...

Update: Oh my. I'm over there at the Richard Rohr site just drooling over that conference. I'm actually thinking about it. I need to see if I can come up with the money somehow. It might be possible. We'll see.

I'm so glad I read about that here!

Katherine E. said...

I'm so glad that CB is going with you! Neat!

Lindy said...

That will be a great way to start off the new year. I am glad for you.