Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Harold Loukes

An act of love that fails is just as much a part of the divine life as an act of love that succeeds, for love is measured by its own fullness, not by its reception.
--Harold Loukes

This quote went along beautifully with the third chapter in Gerald May's book, The Awakened Heart--"Freedom and Intention." So I brought it to our Tuesday Wisdom Class for the opening meditation. I was surprised that the ensuing conversation was preoccupied with whether love could be measured, while I thought (and still think) that the whole point of this saying is that one is to love no matter if it is rejected or received, thwarted or rewarded, denied or affirmed. The point is to love with abandon, as God loves us, and not to stop when it appears that nothing happens. --Or to try to love as God loves us.

This made me wonder who Harold Loukes was; all I knew till now was that he was a Quaker. He was born in 1912 in England and died there in 1980. He was a headmaster for over a decade in India and continued to be involved with education on his return to Great Britain.

4 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I like he quote, and I agree with your interpretation of it. I don't see measuring in there at all.

ROBERTA said...

great quote - it intrigues me that we all want to measure love in some way! this quote also reminds me of one i listed several months ago (What Makes Love Real) from mother teresa & nicholas cage - (i know that's an odd combination)....you are what you love - not what loves you!

http://spirituallydirected.blogspot.com/search?q=what+makes+love+real

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Jan--thanks so much for sharing that. For me, as a divorced person who often wonders what I did wrong to make my marriage "fail," that is a very comforting insight.

Pax,
Doxy

Cynthia said...

I'm preaching on the parable of the talents this Sunday and the quote dovetails beautifully.

Thank you, too, for the link about Harold Louke.