Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Butterscotch Brownies

I baked Butterscotch Brownies today, a favorite of my children. It's a recipe from the ancient Betty Crocker's Cook Book for Boys and Girls, which I mentioned when I gave the recipe for Iced Butterscotch Brownies while back. I had forgotten how good they are, so I am giving you the recipe below. However, be aware that I usually triple or quadruple the recipe given. This was a big hit today as the snack at my EFM class.

You can tell that this is an OLD recipe, because there is so much fat and sugar in it. BUT these are very good!

Butterscotch Brownies

1/4 cup butter (1/2 cube)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
optional 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Grease an 8 inch square pan.

In a saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Take from heat and stir in brown sugar.

Into cooled mixture, stir in 1 egg.

Mix together flour, baking powder, and and salt. Then add to wet mixture.

Stir in vanilla and nuts, if desired. Spread in pan.

Bake for 25 minutes in 350 degree F. oven.



4 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

Ha! I remember that cookbook! In fact I think I can probably still find mine, too!

Lori said...

I have that exact same cookbook!!! And those are yummy brownies.

Jennifer said...

Oh dear. Oh, my!

Kate Morningstar said...

Joy of Cooking has a pretty similar recipe -- they're really good with coconut. If you like coconut.