Thursday, November 20, 2008

Black Friday


Black Friday is what the day after Thanksgiving is known as; a major shopping day in the USA. That is probably why I am staying an extra day in Austin with daughter MJ, but now I am re-thinking that reasoning because of learning about Buy Nothing Day. First I looked at this article by Eugene Cho here, on Jim Wallis' God's Politics blog.

So that sent me to the Buy Nothing Day site.

And now look at the short (1 1/2 minutes) video I found about it:



So what do YOU think?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hope lots of people will observe no shopping Friday and the Advent Conspiracy. We plan to.

I'm Still Me said...

Black Friday and all the advertisements were quite a surprise to us after moving from Canada. This year, however, it seems like every day or so the major retailers have sales because they are so desperate to make their sales. It will be interesting to see if Black Friday yields less as they are anticipating.

Terri said...

Sounds like a plan to me!

Missy said...

I think it's brilliant. How is it I've never heard of it before?

I never shop on Black Friday. Not out of any anti-consumerism, but because I simply hate shopping and hate shopping with hordes of people waiting in line even more.

Cho makes a good point about the guilt of privilege, though, and the need some people have to shop on that day. All the better then, if the rest of us stay away and allow the needy to scarf up on good deals.

Thanks for posting this. I'll pass it on.

dust bunny said...

I have never shopped on Black Friday....the crowds scare the life outta me. But as the retail industry (auto industy, banking industy...take your pick) goes, so go the rest of us. Things are getting mighty wonky.