Monday, July 14, 2008

July 14

Being both a baby boomer and an only child, I seem to mark dates with sentimentality. Today is the 16th anniversary of my mother's death, which I wrote about last year. I'm not that sad, just remembering.

When she died, I called to tell a close friend (JJ), and she replied, "Not on MY birthday!" So it is JJ's birthday today--we went to high school together and were bridesmaids in each other's weddings. Because of JJ's birth and my mother's death being on July 14, I especially notice people with birthdays on this date. I now have four friends celebrating their birthdays today. I really like knowing them connected with today.

If it's your birthday today, leave a comment.

13 comments:

Missy said...

Today is my oldest son, Steve's birthday. He turns 18.

Terri said...

I remember reading this last year and thinking about my mothers death...

also...I've given you an award...the post will be ready at my blog shortly...

Katherine E. said...

Jan, today is the anniversary of Ruby Cline's death. She was my spiritual director, and good friend of Jerry Haas, and a huge influence in bringing the Five Day Academy to this area and to introducing me to it. I miss her still. One part of her legacy was that I got to meet YOU through the Academy.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's my husband's birthday. Does that count?

I tend to notice anniversaries of events too. I'm glad that you are not feeling sad about your mother's death, but I will pray for you and for the repose of her soul today all the same.

Jen-Jenny-Jennifer said...

Can I comment if it's not? :-) I just wanted to say I really like your stuff. I struggle soooo much against myself as I trudge the road of happy destiny. Thanks for your sharing.

Fran said...

Jan- thoughts of your mother today and always thoughts for you.

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I have two friends with birthdays today too. My comment, though is on your profile (found you via Ruth) i love that you call youself an eclectic Christian. i am a born and raised Methodist but recently I heard a Hindu woman interviewed and she said they didn't care if others became Hindus - I thought - oh, to be freed of evangelism!!!!

Jan said...

Missy, Happy Birthday to Steve! I'll remember him.

Mompriest, it touches me that you remember this from last year. Thanks.

Katherine, I remember Ruby! How nice to think of her today, too. I also celebrate our meeting at the Spiritual Academy.

Ruth, I like knowing it's your husband's birthday. Hope he has a happy day!

Turbo, I am so glad you commented. I'm glad to know that you visit here.

Fran, you are dear to care, as always.

Diane, so glad you commented and that you have friends with this birthday. We could have quite a party with all of them!

Lori said...

I know of no one with this birthday. BUT I am also a baby boomer and an only child and I can relate to your memorializing this date.

((((Jan))))

Jan said...

PG, thank you. It's nice to have a blogging sister who is also an only child and a baby boomer! I appreciate the hugs, too.

Lauralew said...

Hugs to you, Jan. I still have my mother. I cannot imagine life without her, although I must, probably sooner than later. Prayers for you always.

Kate Morningstar said...

It's my birthday tomorrow -- that is, today, since it's after midnight. The 15th. And my mother died on November 13th, 2006, one week after her birthday. I'm a boomer too, and the oldest of three, and I remember. My brother, the youngest, died June 15th, 1995, the day before Dad's 65th birthday.

I'm sorry for your loss, Jan.

Diane M. Roth said...

Jan, I'm late, but wanted to say

(((Jan)))