Thursday, July 3, 2008

HALT!

The image “http://www.haltaz.org/images/HALT%20logo.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
H = hungry
A = angry
L = lonely
T= tired

While talking to a friend today, HALT came up when she told me about an incident where she lost herself in hurt, anger and frustration. I asked her if she had ever gone to any 12-step groups, and she answered that she had not. So I proceeded to tell her about the acronym HALT.

When someone is hunger, angry, lonely and/or tired, one is more likely to be vulnerable to overreacting. It is an awareness word or symbol to ask oneself in difficult situations. If someone is aware of being hungry, angry, lonely and/or tired, it would be best to STOP and take care of the deficiency. Then coping is easier.

This is true for any age, but children and teenagers probably show the effects of these conditions much more forcefully. HALT is a good thing to remember and to teach others about.

8 comments:

Fran said...

True indeed - a great reminder, AMEN!

I am H and T a lot...

Judy Vaughan-Sterling said...

I wish I had known about this when my son was young! It would have made his life (and mine!!) so much easier!

Lori said...

I have never heard of this! Thank you so much.

I'm Still Me said...

This has nothing to with your entry, but thanks so much for your comments. I was just reading "The Pregnancy Bible" and the section on breastfeeding to which I started worrying about the whole process. I have an older friend who's daughter stayed with them for the first month of her baby and had troubles with it. I'll probably be a little on my own (although sometimes I get surprised) and had no idea where to go if I need help. The book mentioned La Leche and I had no clue what that was and then I got your comment. Maybe God is listening to my fears! Thank you so much.

Diane M. Roth said...

very good!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I never heard of this acronym, but it's a good one.

ROBERTA said...

i never heard of this one either....where have i been?

Kate Morningstar said...

I know about HALT. For me, it works backwards. I'm tired. Then I get Lonely. Then I get Angry that after all this time I'm still so damn Lonely. Hungry doesn't come into it for me. I have a friend who substitutes something else for the H.